• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A Name for Divine Beings?

Shreddies

Troubadour
In the world I'm working on, there's a group of deities that started out as a throw away gag and parody of Elder Scrolls' Daedric Princes. But now that I've fleshed them out some more, I want to keep them. I just don't know what to call them (Aside from 'The [something] Princes').

Any suggestions for the [something]?

Trick

Auror
Does your world have any cultural similarities to the real world? It would help in coming up with a name?

Shreddies

Troubadour
Does your world have any cultural similarities to the real world? It would help in coming up with a name?

The world has a few that are similar to r/l, but the deities themselves (as a race) are not really based on anything I'm aware of. And their own culture is pretty much just a pile of rivalries and snubbing at the moment. :(

Edit: I like the sound of the -ic suffix, so maybe something borrowed from Greek or Latin? Or similar sounding.

Last edited:

WooHooMan

Auror
I had something very similar to that so I gave the gods pun names. The god of the sea is "Hytyd", the god of hunting is "Terri-Ur" and the god of insanity is "Manta Leil". And so on.
There's 15 of them: the 12 Divines and the 3 Demon-Gods. Simple names, they don't really need anything fancier. Calling them something like the "Odic Cadre" would just be adding some more fantasy jargon where you don't need it.

Hi,

Celestials?
WooHooMan has also suggested Divines which I quite like.
I assume anything to do with angels like angelics is out.
If you've played Neverwinter you'll know the term Tiefling - don't know if its trademarked or anything.

Cheers, Greg.

Shreddies

Troubadour
. . . Simple names, they don't really need anything fancier. Calling them something like the "Odic Cadre" would just be adding some more fantasy jargon where you don't need it.

And don't forget Lai-Ur :D

I have their personal names mostly sorted out already. I'm just working out what to call them as a species or group. Even if I never use it in a story I'd still like to have it on hand in case I need it. :(

Celestials?
WooHooMan has also suggested Divines which I quite like.
I assume anything to do with angels like angelics is out.
If you've played Neverwinter you'll know the term Tiefling - don't know if its trademarked or anything.

Divines is good but it doesn't really have the feel I'm going for. And yeah, angels are out.
Something similar to Tieflings might work. I'll have to think about it some more.

I really like using the term 'Prince' for them (in its historical meaning: Sovereign ruler). Even if it gets a bit silly, like: 'Lord Bo, Prince of Lost Socks, Baked Goods, and a Few Other Things'.

So maybe [Something]-ian? Or maybe -ish? And I don't mean 'Smallish' ;)

Last edited: