1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

A Name For the Harpy Chick?

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Ireth, May 15, 2013.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I've already suggested my name, but I think we should have an official decision on the matter, just so no one gets confused and calls her something else (unless it be a nickname, those are fun). Any suggestions you guys have for alternatives are welcome. If we get enough options, I or someone could create a poll.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

I am reading a book called Bronwyn's Bane. Is that of the same derivation as the name you proposed?

3. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Not quite. They have the same suffix, but different roots. Bronwyn means "white breast". Nothing to do with ravens.

Steerpike likes this.
  4. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

I'm fine with Sir Cadell having the honor.

Nihal and Ireth like this.
  5. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Ah, I don't find the name.
    Can we post it in the thread of the topic? :)

I was thinking of Heho. (Half elf harpy offspring) I try to end female names with "a" rather then "o", (romantic language, a-fem, o-masc.)
    Maybe Cheho? Child half elf harpy offspring. Chehos(divide offspring into two words)

6. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Sorry, I should have put it here in the first place. Anyway...

7. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

After I went back to post I found it.

Carrior crooner, Carricroa?

"No, I like yours best, I am a simple elven thief, with little sweet beauty to name from, I am from a world of gruff, cold, claw for everything you need, life. Why is every time I speak of my life, I find a connection to the childs?"

8. Ravana

Ravana Istar

Omeletta has a certain ring to it.

Ireth likes this.
  9. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

We'll see how she responds to Branwen. ^^

10. Keitsumah

Keitsumah Inkling

Zola. Kishi. Avani> All of them are derived from the word "earth" which I think suits how dirty the harpy was when she was found. I also made up one, Siltsiin.

11. Legendary Sidekick

The name's already grown on me!

Ireth likes this.
  12. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

My daughter knew a Branwyn in elementary school.

13. ecdavis

ecdavis Troubadour

Well, according to Wikipedia, some Harpies were named: Aello ("storm swift"), Celaeno ("the dark") – also known as Podarge ("fleet-foot") – and Ocypete ("the swift wing"). Perhaps a version of one these Greek names?

14. Legendary Sidekick

How big does a full-grown harpy get, anyway? Baldy's 6'9", but in my head I was picturing the harpy as a big woman herself when they fought. I suppose she can't be considerably larger than a normal woman since she needs a man for mating.

15. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

She is part elf, so I would imagine a little shorter then "human based" harpy. (Isn't typical elf like 5 ft to 6'4"?)

16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I've always seen elves as slightly taller than the average human, myself. Hence why Cadell thinks little of being six foot six.

17. Legendary Sidekick

He probably thinks of it more when ducking through doors in the dwarven halls.

Baldy would hit her head on a normal door (6'8" or 2m). My daughters know how she feels. Nothing serious, but as they began to grow, they became prone to piggy-back mishaps. Fortunately, the ceiling fans are impossible to reach without a ladder. I just avoid doorways now, except with the baby.

18. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Well, if this place is anything like the dwarven halls of Tolkien's works, Cadell has nothing to worry about. XD Those ceilings are ridiculously high.

19. Legendary Sidekick

I'm going with that image, too. Makes it easier for a huge lady to swing a huge sword.

I still picture the stone door as a round door that most humans have to duck through. Like the round door on a submarine, but stone. And I don't know if subs have round doors other than the hatch on top. Research? Bah, humbug. I'm going to get lunch. The submarine comparison stays no matter how ignorant it makes me look!

STEALTH EDIT - Vaults have round doors.

20. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

I guess I thought D&D was the typical elf characteristics:
    Elf (Dungeons & Dragons) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think I made Aliron 5'4", I didn't know he was tall for D&D elves.