• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A Return to Metro 2033

Sam Evren

Troubadour
A few days ago, I posted in the "Games of the Year" thread - for 2013. I wanted to add Metro: Last Light to the list, but I hadn't finished it yet and I was hesitant. I wanted to know how it compared to Metro 2033, the first game in the series - one based off of a novel.

Metro 2033 was an experience. I should write that as an EXPERIENCE. It was bold. It was italicized. It stands out to me even unto this day.

After I finished Metro: Last Light, I went back to 2033, to see how much had changed. Much had. The publisher that Last Light was being made under folded. I suspect the developer had to cut corners, perhaps shoe-horn in some Call of Duty-esque features to please new or former overlords.

But I was struck again at the original, at Metro 2033. It's astonishing. It's an achievement in the telling of stories in games - via the mechanics of game.

In March of 2011, I wrote a blog post about Metro 2033. If you like, you can find it here. It's written exactly after I finished the game, and it's filled with more of the passion I felt at finishing it. You can find it here: The Perfect Weather for Gaming: On Finishing Metro 2033 - A Perfect Weather Wall-O-Text Review

That's not meant to be a plug for my blog, there's no reason to plug it, I don't even have advertising turned on, but I figured it's easier than copying and pasting the entire post here - plus the post has pictures. :)

I was actually just about to start another play-through, but remembering how amazing it was, I thought I'd just come and share that amazingness with you folks.

If you're looking for a deep - and dark - story, one that will immerse you, Metro 2033 will carry you away - if you let it. It's a shooter, but it's so much more than just that.

Thanks for taking the time to read!