1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

A Worldbuilding Propositon!

Discussion in 'Archipelago Archive' started by JCFarnham, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desertrunner

desertrunner Scribe

The new map looks great Donny. Far beyond my abilities.

2. JCFarnham

JCFarnham Auror

You mean the other JC right? Because I'm still here and I still need my nation haha hands off ;-)

I'll edit the first post in a minute. Not sure If I can repost the map (was it uploaded to the server or?), but I'll give it a go. Just a warning I'm going to be away on holiday for about 2 or 3 weeks, which gives me plenty of time to think up some great ideas I guess. So don't reopen my claim yeah :p

3. Kaellpae

Kaellpae Inkling

That looks awesome Donny! If I need something put into my island as long at it's close it'll be good.

4. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

I agree, the map looks fantastic. Also, I did mean the other jc, sorry about not being clearer.

5. Kaellpae

Kaellpae Inkling

I've gotten some town names and area names for my island. The port town on the North tip is Red Cliff. The plains at the top of the cliffs are unimaginatively called Red Cliff Plains. The Southwest city is Staccoy, and the natives call the large mountain/volcano Ful Aem.

All names of areas are subject to change if anyone cares to give some help. Redcliff and Staccoy are two different civilizations. Thus far they have good relations. Red Cliff is currently building a larger pass to the Plains.

Feedbacks?

6. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

@ Kaellpae

Sounds like a good start, I like how even on a tiny island you are showing how different civilizations interact.

Hopefully by tomorrow night I will post some more information on my islands main religion.

7. Kaellpae

Kaellpae Inkling

I'm not quite sure how the natives should react to being invaded or brought up to speed with technology. Willing or could there be a resistance?

8. JCFarnham

JCFarnham Auror

@Kaellpae: Staccoy works for me sound wise, but I think maybe an alternate spelling would work better? I do however like the name, because weirdly enough it plays right into the linguistics I'm considering for my nation. For example the Capital is Stonacott. Looks like it could be from the same root language as these southern people of your island. Haha its touches like this that I love, the little things that tie places together. After all our nations aren't terribly far away from each are they.

As long as the quality of the photo is decent enough I'll post a city map of Stonacott in a while =) I haven't finalised that much at the moment, but a map is a good start, right!

EDIT:

The City of Stonacott - Capital of Eastern "Big Island"​

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  9. Kaellpae

Kaellpae Inkling

@JC: The spelling and names are able to be changed by who ever wants to have their origins on my isle that wants to work with me a bit. What way would fit your country better for spelling? I made sure to have two ways for the settler towns to be spelled so it could be clear that they're different cultures. As with the natives, I had an idea on how I thought they would speak.

Anyone want to collaborate for the Northern port town?

10. Donny Bruso

Donny Bruso Sage

Nice map, JC. Personally I think the rest of you are either blind, or just have really low standards for maps if you think mine is that great, lol. Although I am always happy to accept comments about the general wonderfulness of my work, correct or not.

11. JCFarnham

JCFarnham Auror

I think you misunderstood me slightly there, I mean one of your places sounds like it could be a word from the same, or at the very least a similar language to some of my place names. I kind of like that :) I mean I kind of like the double c in Staccoy, double letters (like the double t in my capital), could be that y at the end thats putting me off? then again there isn't much else it could be to keep the same sound haha.

12. Kaellpae

Kaellpae Inkling

@JC: Ahh. Yeah I misunderstood. Staccoy was founded by settlers, so maybe your civilization would be the British to my America? Started by pilgrims from your island but making their own mark on the world now. Would it be alright to use Staccoy's origins with pilgrims from your land?

13. Eliazar

Eliazar Scribe

Is there still some island left? I'm still a little busy studying at the moment, but this will be over by next monday, so I might like to join this project. Also, is there a post where the "general rules" are laid or are they all over the pages?

14. myrddin173

myrddin173 Maester

15. JCFarnham

JCFarnham Auror

I like that idea very much! With islands like these, even though they're spread around a bit, you kind of expect a little bit of colonialism don't you. I just trying to figure out whether my lot would be a major power in a "we've got the most land" sense, or in more of a spread out Russia way. They are one of the most equitorial nations, so that must play some sort of part... I need to think more about geography!

As it turns out the big island is a bit of an African size land mass, maybe a touch smaller haha [give or take a bit of shape ... naturally]. I'm glad I checked the scale to a map of parallels.

EDIT:

Okay, so ... my half is a bit smaller than Saudi Arabia, hopefully that puts things in perspective for people =P

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  16. Eliazar

Eliazar Scribe

Thanks for the info. I will read through the whole thread once I got more time next week, I just thought I'd ask for the general rules to see if it is something for me first :) As I see it, the group of small island to the far right is still available?

17. JCFarnham

JCFarnham Auror

Technically you can write bits and bobs for what ever area you like, seeing as how this is really an open collaboration, but since there are islands free you may as well become an "Editor" of an area. =)

18. Eliazar

Eliazar Scribe

Yeah, if possible, I'd like to become editor of these small islands :) Will start working on them soon.

19. JCFarnham

JCFarnham Auror

Okay then! =) I'll update the list.

20. Kaellpae

Kaellpae Inkling

,It seems like nobody wants to share an island with JC. I would do it if it weren't for me already having my nice, tiny island.

My native islanders had a thriving culture up until an earthquake destroyed every building they had, except for parts of their temple. Massive enough that the quake couldn't budge all of the major blocks used to make it. Taking it as a sign of God to change the way they live, they abandoned the ruined city. The people wander their land in small clans now, hunting and gathering.

As their numbers grew again, wild fruits and vegetables and their hunting game began to run low. When the settlers came some of them abandoned the ways that their god had set for them and joined the settlers. Others decided their god didn't want them to wander anymore and settled to the west of Ful Aem. Close enough to the temple to worship, and far enough away to be out of the wreckage of the old city.

That's where I'm at so far for my people. Some of them are settled in a large village, some joined the settlers for a secure living, and the rest still wander the plains to please their god. I'm thinking of a god called Alam, not quite sure though.

@JC: For current setting I would like the settlement to be a city in construction. Building their larger buildings still, and getting spread through the nearby countryside to get their agriculture going, finding deposits of rare metals and gems. There aren't any rivers according to the map, but in my mind there are at least some larger streams, and hillsides to mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.