1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

About Hit Points

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Steerpike, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

For those of you who haven't played D&D or related games before, a brief word about hit points. Your Hit Points reflect how much damage you can take before you start to die. They work the same way for monsters or other opponents you might face. They are a bit of an abstraction. It may seem odd that a fighter with 50 hit points can take a knife in the stomach and keep going, while a person with 4 hit points may die. The usual explanation is that the fighter's experience allows him to take that same blow and perhaps deflect it into a less lethal wound. A series of blows that would kill a level 1 fighter may just leave a series of gouges on a level 5 fighter as he rolls with them, partially deflects, or what have you. The whole concept operates as a gauge for how much damage you can take before dying, but shouldn't be interpreted literally (in other words, not every 10 hp attack is the same).

When it comes to creatures, your characters don't know how many hit points their opponent has. I'll try to give clues in the narrative, though, as to the general states of your opponents health. If I describe your attacks as glancing, or a gouge across the arm, or something like that, your opponent probably has the greater share of his hit points remaining. If the attack is described as tearing open the enemy's abdomen, you've probably done a great deal of damage to him. If you are fighting an opponent who you've hit numerous times and he shows few signs of physical trauma, while your own hit points are falling rapidly, it's time to worry :)

Sparkie likes this.
  2. wordwalker

wordwalker Auror

One way to think of it is that if say 5 HP is an average soldier, a character with 10 HP has the fighting skill to block 50% of the damage, so it takes 8 points to hurt him as badly as the other would be after a 4-pt blow --and it's that proportionate health left of the enemy that Steerpike will be describing. It's just simpler to treat it as overall endurance.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    Ireth likes this.
  3. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Good to know. ^^ Thanks, guys!

4. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

So I guess my HP is 1d12+3...?

(Level x class-specific HP die + CON mod)

But how do dice fit into that equation?

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

For level 1 I am using max hit points for everyone. When you gain a new level you will roll a 1d12 and add 3 to find out how many additional hit points you gain.