• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

After these many years...

Wormtongue

Minstrel
I have returned to writing. I have not laid quill to papyrus in many seasons. OK, I haven't laid finger to keyboard. Is that better?

I may not hold the record for the longest pause in writing a novel but if I should ever finish my first book (and I certainly intend to, despite evidence to the contrary) it will be in contention.

I began thinking about this story when I was in my early teens. I actually wrote some horrible sci-fi short stories back then but thankfully they are long lost.

I put the first words of this novel on paper (yes I said paper) back in 1983 at the age of 20. I was using a device some of you may not have even heard of. It was called a typewriter. But at least it was an electric model.

Though I set it aside many times over the years I have never forgotten it. I lost it all back in the 90s and had to start again.

I posted parts of it on a forum two years back and got some wonderful feedback. It made me realize just what a flailing mess of confusing POV flip-flopping purple-prose I had created. After I swallowed my pride I went back and re-wrote most of it. Replacing exposition with dialog, description with action. And anchoring my POV to the protagonist. No more mind-reading the secondary characters.

But I digest... :D

I have been reading some of the threads here and find a lot of the information interesting and informative.

So I am poking my head out of the lurker hole to see if there will be six more weeks of winter.

Sparkie

Auror
Hmm, I dunno. February 2nd is still a ways away. (Still a ways away? You can tell I'm an amateur!) But welcome. And our Showcase forum is an active, helpful way to receive feedback. Hope to see your stuff there soon.

Ghost

Inkling
Welcome, Wormtongue. Your avatar creeps me out, but I always felt bad for Mr. Wormtongue. A bit of sunshine and a haircut, and the guy would be as good as new. Or he'd be a creepier version with a tan. Who knows?

This question may be too personal, but I'll ask anyway. What are you digesting?

Xanados

Maester
A just question, my liege. Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. "Lathspell" I name him. Ill news is an ill guest.

Welcome, Grima, to MythicScribes!

Reaver

Staff
A belated welcome to Mythic Scribes. You know, you're not much older than me and I have fond memories of chopping away on my Mom's IBM Selectric, driving everyone in the house crazy. Especially when I used the correcting tape (at least five times a minute). Anyways...welcome.