1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

AHHH!! no free time to think and write

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vel, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Vel

Vel Dreamer

Does anyone struggle with separating homework/work with writing? i'm currently in the middle of doing health science and calculus homework at the same time and was suddenly bombarded with creativity and thought of so many ideas for what i'm writing. I want to stop and write everything down but i know school is more important. gahh!! :confused:

2. Chasejxyz

Chasejxyz Sage

Yeah, you gotta find that balance. What might work well for you is to figure out how to quickly jot down notes when you get ideas. Use whatever note app you have on your phone or carry a notebook with you. You don't need to use full sentences, use bullet points or whatever feels good, and you can get back to it later.

3. MisaMai

MisaMai Dreamer

I always keep a notepad next to me as I am doing homework or work at home. Where I struggle is I work as a hairstylist and when an idea strikes as I'm cutting hair I have no way to jot it down. It drives me absolutely crazy! When I am working on schoolwork I always take the time to write down ideas mostly because I know I won't be able to concentrate if I let it rest in my head for too long.

4. Prince of Spires

Prince of Spires Maester

My solution was to only on the rarest of occasions do homework.

I suspect this is probably a bad solution for most people, but I could get away with it...

Asher the Red likes this.
  5. Stevie

Stevie Acolyte

A day without calculus is a like a day without sunshine. There's never been a day since I passed my maths exam that I didn't find some use for it*.

Seriously though, taking a bit of time out from study to do something that exercises another part of your mind can help you perform better at the orginal task. It's to do with the left and right sides of the brain and the way it deals differently with creative and logical work. Take ten every hour to scribble down those ideas then get back to the grind!

*All facts in this statement may have been exaggerated for dramatic effect.

Asher the Red likes this.
  6. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

No, no, it's: a day without calculus is a day without limits ....