• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Alternate History is my Genre Kryptonite. Recs?

I have a huge weakness for alternate history stories. Anyone know some good ones?

Is Temeraire any good? Dragons and alternate history--it sounds like we're a match made in heaven, but i've heard mixed things about Temeraire.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I've read the first two and thoroughly enjoyed them. Did hear one person say things get weaker in later books, but I think that can be said of a great many multi-volume series.

Harry Turtledove, of course.

There are others, but those are the ones that always come to mind.

La Volpe

Sage
I have a huge weakness for alternate history stories. Anyone know some good ones?

Is Temeraire any good? Dragons and alternate history--it sounds like we're a match made in heaven, but i've heard mixed things about Temeraire.

When I saw this thread and saw you were the one posting it, I was just about to point out that His Majesty's Dragon (first of the Temeraire eries) would be a perfect alternate history book for you.

I read the first book and quite liked it. I haven't gotten around to the rest yet, mostly because my to-be-read pile is enormous. So if you're going to try an alternate history book, this one is a good bet.

In the first book at least, a lot of the focus is on the dragons (rather than the war in the background, which only becomes important near the end). It reminded me of PERN a bit in the way it handled the rider/dragon relationships.