• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Always invisible ghosts

Peregrine

Troubadour
Nobody can see a ghost in my setting, but they can see a ghost's actions.

Ghosts can move or displace somebody's belonging, push chairs, wardrobes and other objects, create a mess and mischief in a house and even throw knives at living people if they are malicious.

Only magicians can sense the presence of a ghost with their sixth sense, ordinary people do not feel the presence of ghosts unless the ghost is doing something with objects.

The ghost does not have a hidden humanoid form, it is shapeless.

Ghosts can not be touched and nobody knows their location even magicians who feel their presence them do not know where exactly they are located.

What do you think of ghosts that are always invisible? Constructive criticism needed.

Last edited:

Zeppo

Dreamer
When I think of Ghosts, I also think of them being generally invisible. However, how do the ghosts interact with the physical world? Can they move objects by physically picking them up, thereby becoming somewhat tangible during that, or do they have telekinesis to move objects.

If they are physically picking up objects, then perhaps there is some aspect that would be detectable by someone, including a ghost pushing a person directly.

I think that establishing how ghosts are created would help establish and justify their abilities. Are they shadow remnants of the original soul, thereby shapeless and angry. Or are the literally the soul of the dead individual with all memories. Do all ghosts end up like that, or only some. I'm not saying that ghosts need a 'purpose' but if they are from the dead, then they either need to be everywhere, or there needs to be a specific reason why some are 'left behind'.

Not sure if my view helps at all.

Peregrine

Troubadour
When I think of Ghosts, I also think of them being generally invisible. However, how do the ghosts interact with the physical world? Can they move objects by physically picking them up, thereby becoming somewhat tangible during that, or do they have telekinesis to move objects.

If they are physically picking up objects, then perhaps there is some aspect that would be detectable by someone, including a ghost pushing a person directly.

I think that establishing how ghosts are created would help establish and justify their abilities. Are they shadow remnants of the original soul, thereby shapeless and angry. Or are the literally the soul of the dead individual with all memories. Do all ghosts end up like that, or only some. I'm not saying that ghosts need a 'purpose' but if they are from the dead, then they either need to be everywhere, or there needs to be a specific reason why some are 'left behind'.

Not sure if my view helps at all.

They move objects because they apply pressure, I don't know if I can call it telekinesis.

Maybe I should not make them able to move objects as it is unnecessary in my setting. So nobody can know they certainly exist except magicians who sense them but cannot see them.

The reason why ghosts wander the earth in my setting is because their former bodies were not buried underground and receive a proper burial.

Last edited:

Blue

Acolyte
I think it sounds good almost like they are in an alternate dimension able to look at the events happening in your world and affect them but not be visible. Perhaps it is the natural flow of death or perhaps these people are still bound by your world and cannot move on.

They generate lots of questions which is always good! ^_^

K.S. Crooks

Maester
You could follow the same situation as in the movie Ghost. Dead people were invisible to people but could be sensed and sometimes heard by those who are gifted. The ghosts could learn to channel their own energy to move objects and even posses a body. Both of those actions, especially possession, drained the ghost of their energy for a while.