• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

An interesting thing happened to me today...

Noma Galway

Archmage
I primarily write fantasy (that's why I'm here, after all), but for my short story class we've been having to write realistic fiction. I was actually talking about my story I finished recently in chat a few weeks ago, and got some help on that one. We did the whole workshop thing, and I took all the comments and completely rewrote it. The main character wound up not anorexic and a whole bunch of other things changed. I also took some comments from my crit partner into account, but she typically critiques my fantasy work.

My MC, Kori, has a quirk that she writes her diary in 8th century Anglo-Saxon runes. This is mostly so no one can read it. I actually do the same thing for the same reason.

My crit partner asked me if she just writes the diary in runes like I do or if they were magical. She knew the genre and everything, but she wants me to make it more explicit. I'm not sure how I can do that, but I felt like sharing this with you guys. I found it interesting.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
She knew it was realistic fiction, therefore…

…your crit partner believes in magic!

And she says "writes the diary in runes like you do," so maybe you can tell her your MC's runic diary isn't magical, but yours is.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I suffer from 'the wit of the staircase' myself. As in, I'm on the stairs leaving wherever I just was when I come up with the ultimate response.

Sadly, when I write I come up with responses instantly, so my characters are far more quick-witted than I could ever hope to be. Maybe it helps that (RPGs aside) I wrote what the other guy said, but still, I'm jealous of my characters.

Noma Galway

Archmage
When I write my responses aren't all that great until I go back and polish. With RPGs, my characters have the strangest tendency to tick people off. We were once approached by members of a sorcerer organization, and I was the one that talked to them. If they hadn't kept failing Sense Motive, we would have all died right there because my druid just couldn't keep her mouth shut.

I almost want to start a thread to share fun gaming experiences (pen and paper) now.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a smart mouthed druid. Especially one who has the guts to smart off to a group of sorcerers who are a whole three challenge rating higher than her group is, and then get away with it because of lucky rolls and sorcerer arrogance. That's just awesome stuff right there. If I were your DM, I'd give you bonus experience just for not dying.