• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

An Introduction of Sorts, or, A Sordid Introduction

Lodestone

Acolyte
Hi everyone,

My name is Matt, but my handle online has been Lodestone since the before the turn of the previous century. I feel largely disingenuous here, as I would not say, “I’m a writer“, or even, “I occasionally do some fiction writing“. As a software developer, I write everyday. Just nothing worth reading. Yet here I am and I’m even writing an intro!

As far back as I can remember, my mind has been an endless font of ideas, but very little traversed from my head onto paper (or digital equivalent). I never pursued a creative path because I was afraid. I regret that now. And now I’m this middle aged guy - the clock is ticking!

In joining up here, I hope I can find some inspiration and motivation, encouragement and accountability, and perhaps some like-minded fellowship.

Cheers!

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Welcome, Matt. I hope you enjoy the community here. It can be difficult to find time or motivation to write, especially given how busy we all are. I can certainly relate.

Welcome.

Maybe sharing ideas here, and reading ideas here, and the general discussion here, will inspire you in some way.

I wouldn't worry so much about not having started. Maybe approach it as a sort of game, a fun pursuit, first?

And now I’m this middle aged guy - the clock is ticking!

Starting later in life is actually fairly common. Don't sweat it.

As far back as I can remember, my mind has been an endless font of ideas, but very little traversed from my head onto paper (or digital equivalent). I never pursued a creative path because I was afraid. I regret that now. And now I’m this middle aged guy - the clock is ticking!
What counts as middle aged these days? The older I get the older middle aged people seem to get... ;)

I only seriously started writing a few years ago, at 36 or so. Since then I've completed 4 novels (and published 3), and I'm working on the next one. No reason why you can't start writing later (and there are plenty of writers who do just that). I've heard it said that older writers have some advantages over younger ones, mainly that they have more experience to draw from, which helps create more realistic scenes and stories. Make of that what you will.

For myself, I tried writing when I was younger, but I didn't have the willpower to sit down for an hour each day to write, so that didn't go anywhere. It's only now that I manage to do so and be less distracted by life in general. Which is something that comes with age I guess.

Lodestone

Acolyte
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. The only late-start author I was really aware of before was Dave Duncan.

via Wikipedia:

... pursued a career as a geologist in the petroleum industry for nearly three decades before he started writing science fiction and fantasy novels. He made his first sale (A Rose Red City) two years later in 1986 at the age of 53, just two weeks after his 31-year career as a geologist came to an end due to a slump in the oil business, at which point he switched to full-time writing

I think that in the indie author community there are plenty of people who started late. Check the 20booksto50k facebook group for a few. Craig Martelle is one I know of for sure. But there's plenty more.