• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anne Rice's encouraging words on writing

Alile

Scribe
Anne Rice posted on her Facebook page a few words about writing.

If you don't know her, she's written "Interview with a Vampire", it was made into a movie starring Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Kirsten Dunst, Christian Slater, Antonio Banderas and Stephen Rea. After that came 20+ books about these vampires world, and among other books; a witch triology, a few books about the life of Jesus, and a few about a werewolf. I'm a big fan and adore the feeling of her books, her storytelling is amazing and to be honest, her books all have that "flavor" that is her pure voice and nothing else I've read is quite the same. Her voice comes trough no matter what she writes, and I'm totally captivated.

She writes:
"What makes an author is writing. Write no matter what. If you stop writing, start writing. Keep writing. If you go through a long period without writing, don’t get discouraged, start again. I don’t think it’s true that a “real writer” writes every day. I don’t write everyday and I think most people consider me a real writer. Just write in your own way."
Anne Rice | Facebook

I think it's very true; that you need to find how you yourself write. I think this is a strong ecouragement for anyone who writes. I wanted to post this, because I think it's so true. No matter what, keep writing! She goes on:

"From the beginning, I got really bad advice on just about every aspect of writing: write about ordinary people; write about your own family; write about the day to day life of those around you; serious literature is pedestrian realism. --- NONE of this worked for me! I had to follow my own eccentric path, creating novels that no one could classify or explain. I craved the spectacle of historical setting, and the agony of tragic characters --- rebels, outcasts, monsters. If I'd followed all that early advice I would have been a bad novelist never really mining the white hot passion inside me. Thank heaven for me that I just couldn't do it. A serious novel in which every character is a vampire? Well, yes, I HAD to try that! And if my career proves anything, it is that if a person fervently believes in her own vision, no matter how eccentric or weird, well, somebody else may believe in it too."
-- Anne Rice

Last edited: