• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Another word for...

My current work is a 1950s-ish fantasy world and I have the problem of figuring out what do I call films? I could just use the word film, but you see I have called photo's pictographs as it has a more archaic sound to it. I am wondering if maybe there is a word for movies/films that I don't know of that would fit my world more. Any ideas?

Gospodin

Troubadour
You could maintain a bit linguistic consistency and call it a cinemátograph, though, I won't pretend that's not a mouthful. :eek:

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Kinos, Cinas, Flickers, Shadows, Smokies were all colloquial terms for motion pictures in the 30s-50s.
I've even here the name "Clatters" used but that was by a projectionist.

Gospodin

Troubadour
Kinos, Cinas, Flickers, Shadows, Smokies were all colloquial terms for motion pictures in the 30s-50s.

Kino (кино) is still the common word in Russian for films. ;)

Gryphos

Auror
I'm wondering why, if this is a 1950s-esque setting, you're feeling the need to make your terms more 'archaic'. Personally I would just say 'films'.

Similar to Gryphos, I've wondered why they need to sound archaic. There are names earlier in the history of film for movies, like "talkies" or "photoplay" etc. But after searching for actual film criticism, quotes from directors, news stories for the time period, it seems almost everyone used the terms "movie" or "film" by that time already.

Edit: Depending on how much of your world is fantastical, you could always create your own term. Maybe look in the thesaurus for any words for pictures, film + motion or moving + writing/drawing, and mix-and-match until you find something you like.

Thanks guys. I was away for a week and wasn't able to view this thread. But thanks for all the input. I'll awnser some of your questions individually.

Thanks for the list this was exactly what ibwas wondering. Common terms people used at the time. Wither it be the people making it or common people in general.

Huh. I wonder if clatters was used at the same time that sound was being introduced to theaters. Similar to why sound films were called talkies.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Thanks for the list this was exactly what ibwas wondering. Common terms people used at the time. Wither it be the people making it or common people in general.

Huh. I wonder if clatters was used at the same time that sound was being introduced to theaters. Similar to why sound films were called talkies.

I think Clatters is to do with the sound of the mechanical shutter gate that spins to show each frame in turn. I've only been near small projectors running and they were loud enough. I would love/hate to be in a small room with a 35mm or a 70mm projector....

I was trying to stay to older sounding words for the technology because they world this takes place in, is just going through its industrial revolution so to speak. They have figured out how to use magic and technology together thanks to finding out how to write magic down. This has caused a boom in cultures around the world because magic can do a lot of what engineering can do, only faster and in less room.

Certain words I've based their dialect on like:

Instead of automobiles being a term. They have always been called car's in this world as it comes from carriage.

sworn in police officers are called knights.

photo's are called picto's (pictograph).

photo's are called picto's (pictograph).

Then something like "pictostream" for movies? Hah, I don't know. But in our world "picture" was paired with "motion" for "motion picture," and "movies" are from the idea of "moving pictures", and earlier "photo" was paired with "play" for "photoplay" (photo's playing? Or play as in live theater but with photos instead?)

yeah. I was just wondering if there were any words I over looked before deciding once and for all on motion pictures.