1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Any Musical Scribes?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aidan of the tavern, May 17, 2013.

1. Sorry if I'm repeating any threads here but I didn't see one. A few months ago I started self teaching the keyboard, something I've attempted twice in my life, but due to lack of dedication didn't get very far. Got a lot more detirmination this time around, mostly because I really want to play that thing! Feels like its going to be a long journey, but at least I've started. Just wondering if there are any other musicians or musicians-in-the-making here? Do you sing? Is there an instrument you would love to learn but just haven't got around to?

2. Guru Coyote

Guru Coyote Archmage

Ha. Oh yes.

I started out banging the bongos way back when I was pup, but soon switched to electric bass-guitar. I've owned a semi caustic Kramer Ferrington for more than 20 years now, and recently seriously started playing electric guitar.
    I'd not call myself a 'musician' so much, I'm more a 'sound guy.'
    I've dabbled into creating experimental amibient style music, and started putting together an audio-story, but never finished that. You can find some of my tracks on:
    Traumwind - The Joy of Noise

Aidan of the tavern likes this.
  3. Rhizanthella

Rhizanthella Sage

I get most of my inspiration from singing. Well, when I'm alone, it's more like singing and overacting out the scene. I also am getting better at playing the piano, which now mostly consists of trans siberian orchestra songs. I also play flute but would like to someday learn to play the violin and harp. I think that being able to perform one of the fine arts well, (writing is considered a fine art the way I do it) helps one perform another fine art better. After that it becomes a two way street. Writing helps me bring music to life and music in turn gives me ideas and inspiration to write.

4. Wow, that Darkness preview is really interesting! I'd like to be able to put together musical collages like that.

Guru Coyote likes this.
  5. The flute is awesome and underused, if I form my ideal band its going to include flute solos ;). Pianos cool as well, so versatile (please tell me finger-dexterity gets easier as you progress :), my playing feels clumsy so far).

6. Guru Coyote

Guru Coyote Archmage

Let me quote a short dialog from one of my RPGs:
    "Tell me, Master, is it hard to achieve your level of art?" - "Oh no, not at all. If you have 200 years to spend perfecting it."

Aidan of the tavern likes this.
  7. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

I play guitar, bass guitar, keys, mandolin, and harmonica (badly). I also sing (badly, depending on who you ask). I've also written a number of songs, which I posted about here:

http://mythicscribes.com/forums/chit-chat/2110-songwriters.html#post25656

One day I'll actually record some of the stuff I've written. Recording takes time, effort, and $$$, though, so I may let laziness win out. ;)

8. Butterfly

Butterfly Auror

Another flutey here... actually I'm more of a piccoloist at the moment.

I play here... CSCB - Home

Also play a bit of sax, and I tried the trumpet once, a long time ago.

9. Ah yes, I have 2 harmonicas which sit on my shelf, and I often gaze longingly at them. I initially went at them enthusiastically, but it was taking so long going nowhere trying to bend a note that I got out of practising. Shame, I must have another go.

10. Guru Coyote

Guru Coyote Archmage

Oh! Speaking of shelves and gazing longingly at things stored there... I actually have a working Theremin not far from where I am sitting now. You know, that thing that makes the singing-like electronic music and is played without even touching it. First electronic instrument, way before synthesizers were even dreamt of :)

11. Rhizanthella

Rhizanthella Sage

My band director usually only picked flute solo songs... :) needless to say, I did not get them, but theh were there!