• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Appendix

Tolkien

Troubadour
I am going to include an Appendix at the end of my book. The material will be two short write-ups on separate topics loosely related to my book. Should I give a title to my Appendix in my contents section or just have it labeled Appendix?

LieutenantWolf34

Troubadour
It really depends specifically on what the appendix is about, you could do what your namesake did and label appendix A and then add a subtitle like "Appendix A - On Monsters" or something among those lines.

JGCully

Scribe
It really depends specifically on what the appendix is about, you could do what your namesake did and label appendix A and then add a subtitle like "Appendix A - On Monsters" or something among those lines.

I agree, depends on content and purpose.

I found when I was writing up an appendix for my series it became so big I decided to cut it in the end. It's currently awaiting to be made into a stand alone companion. Still on my considerable to do list!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Sorry, are you asking if the appendix should be included in a table of contents at the front of the book? Yes, if there is one.

Tolkien

Troubadour
Sorry, are you asking if the appendix should be included in a table of contents at the front of the book? Yes, if there is one.

Yes and if it should have a title to it or if I should just label it Appendix.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well, i dont know what the titles should be. But I might do something like:

Appendix A: Name and Places
Appendix B: Lesser known histories

I would find that more useful than just Appendix A and Appendix B.