1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Around The Fire - The In-Character Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Sparkie, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Because this thread is meant primarily for in-character dialogue, the setting described here need not be taken literally. I just wrote what I felt to be an environment that's peaceful, relaxing, and conducive to good conversation. I hope you enjoy it, and I look forward to learning more about our characters.

*****​

It's been a long day of travel. Though the weather has been cooperative, the rough, muddy excuse for a road we've been on has left everyone weary. The onset of evening has just begun, and, be it through luck or Providence, we come at last to what may be the perfect site to camp.

The trail we're on runs through a forest glade, a large grassy meadow within the confines of the woods. To the right side of the road there's an area that looks like its seen many travelers over the years. There's a fire pit lined with stones, and four large logs surround the pit. Makeshift benches, probably. The area just beyond is flat, even, and clear of debris, an excellent place for bedrolls or tents. On the left side of the road, a rocky-bottomed shallow brook flows with cool, clear water. A few dead trees have fallen not far from the shore, and some of the wood looks well dried out.

No one says a word. We simply glance at one another, then simultaneously begin setting up for the night. Baldhart grabs an axe and heads over to the fallen trees to chop kindling. Ankari readies his bow and stalks silently into the woods, hoping to find a little game before dark. Cadell wanders over to some bushes by the treeline, intent on finding berries or perhaps edible leaves. Matthew and Rydh begin erecting tents, the clacking of the wooden mallet against stakes echoing around the glade. Everyone stays busy, racing the sun as it drops lower and lower in the sky.

By dusk camp is set. The fire crackles underneath a makeshift spit, a small wild hog turning slowly upon it. Hard bread, Cadell's "wild salad," and stale ale complete the meal. Ankari turns the spit as the rest of us sit in expectation with plates, forks, and knives or daggers in hand. He stiffens a bit as Rydh words Grace to the Gods, then he smiles as he carves and distributes the meat of his kill. Everyone begins to eat, and the moment arrives.

There is a moment, when hungry friends gather to eat, of complete silence. The meal begins, and the body's need for nourishment overtakes all others, including that of conversation. Fortunately such moments are fleeting, as is all time well spent with companions. Soon enough the sounds of crickets and leaves in the nighttime breeze seem to fade as a voice cuts into the quiet...

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  2. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: "Mmm... This is good. Thank you all. Now if only we had some of the sweetbreads Master Sengh used to make at the Armory. He used maple sugar and almonds. They were wonderful."

3. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

Ankari: "There was a time, before the races knew of the gods, when people only ate what was killed fresh or gathered raw. You ate to survive and the bond between men was more profound than that felt from a devout kneeling before the carved idol of his deity. Out here, I sense an echo of that ancient bond. It is simple and good."

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  4. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Baldhart: "Definitely good! Much more tender than the game we hunt back at the peak. I used to eat with the…" *CHOMP* "…men. At least on training days I did. They used to brag about eating tough meat. I never did understand those idiots. Who brags about eating flavorless meat that's tough as leather? Morons! I'm glad I left before I was forced to marry one of them."

5. Ankari

Ankari: "I can't imagine anyone forcing you to do anything, Baldhart."

6. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart: "My father is a master of brute force and swordsmanship. I use them well. But my mother's weapon is more powerful than any that I can bear: guilt."

7. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

Matthew There is only one force with much influence at all in my life, and that is the voice of Tyr.

8. Ankari

Ankari: "Guilt is a strong weapon. You only have two choices. Flee or hurting the person you love. I see you took the wiser path. What will you do when you return home?"

9. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: I too understand what it means to be devout, Matthew. But I'm sure even Tyr himself would allow you to pursue other interests.

10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell: *half-smiles, looking at Baldhart* Few forces on the earth are stronger than guilt. *pause* Then again, anger can be quite ruthless as well.

11. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

Matthew:Turns to Cadell and says "We still do not know which god you worship"

12. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell: I have never held preference for any. My highest loyalty is to my Queen.

13. Ankari

Ankari: All this talk of faith sours the meat in my mouth. Set fire to an idol and it will burn. Churches and temples are a legitimized place for men to gather and fleece the poor. Speak of lighter matters so that we may know one another, not the conjured narrow embodiment of the ideal you hold most valuable. Matthew, tell us of your life before you knew your god."

14. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: "You began the discussion of faith, ranger, whether you like it or not. I was talking about food. Sweetbreads, as I recall."

15. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart: "Well, since we are on the subject of faith, I have to admit that I know where Ankari is coming from. I trained with men, and men would have nothing to do with Brynhild. So in my training days I did not follow any goddess or god. Then one night…" *CHOMP* "…um, I had a, um…" *CHOMP* "…that's very distracting. Oh. Never mind.

"Long story short, Ankari, I didn't have faith until recently. You may find it ironic that by finding faith, I chose what you referred to as 'the wiser path.' I'm not known for wisdom, of course, though…" *CHOMP* "…I am just wise enough to see that this topic makes you uncomfortable.

"Let me answer your question instead, since I had a mouthful when you asked earlier." *CHOMP* "I hope when I get home, the men will know I used my strength not to arm wrestle in taverns and boast, but to help people who are not capable of defending themselves. I can never be what Mother wants me to be, nor can I be what a husband would want me to be." *CHOMP* "So, what will I do when I get home?

"Visit."

Sparkie likes this.
  16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell: *smiles* I know just what I will do when I return home. Report to my Queen, naturally, and then seek out Líadan. *his gaze grows wistful*

17. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

Matthew: Who is this Liadan you speak of?

18. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell: The woman I love.

19. Ankari

Ankari: (Chuckles) "A visit seems to be the best answer. We have not been venturing long, but I already have more awareness of the world than I had cloistered in my forest home. Perhaps I will visit your home, in case you need some assistance against the indomitable foe of yours. I am intrigued by all your homes. What origins would give Matthew such conviction in his deity that he manages to work in Tyr's name in every reply? What has ensnared Cadell's loyalty to almost appear fanatic?

But to your point on faith. I am not uncomfortable discussing this topic. Speak of faith, but expect a different opinion from me. Perhaps there is a faith that will persuade me. Perhaps it has died and is waiting for someone to uncover an ancient text. Perhaps it hasn't come yet because the people aren't ready. I will travel the lands and visit until I've found a home."

20. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell: *looks at Ankari in confusion, mildly offended* Fanatic? That is quite an assumption to make. Just because I serve my Queen with utmost loyalty does not mean I am in a frenzy.