1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Around The Fire - The In-Character Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Sparkie, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

Matthew: You ask what my origins are. My life began as a life in slavery in the harsh climate of the south.

2. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Baldhart: "How would you assist me with my foe, Ankari? Chop off the lower half of my legs?

"My only foe from home is my height. There's a shortage men who desire a woman who has to duck when entering a door. I knew that the day my father measured me at six feet… on my twelfth birthday. He had already been training me to use a sword. Iron, not wood like most boys my age were using—even the ones strong enough, as they'd have killed each other, the idiots.

"Father treated me like the son he never had. I didn't mind that. Boys could be cruel—especially to a girl who's a spectacle, so my father wanted to make sure I could take care of myself in those moments when he'd not able to rescue me. By fourteen, I had the arms to prove I'd been training, and that made me popular with the pretty girls. Not in the way the rumors would have you believe. They came to me for protection. But… those friendships only lasted until they were nearing marrying age.

"Ha! Maybe you should visit home with me, Ankari. If I show up with a man, that will be my protection!"

3. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

Ankari: We are all talking, this is good. Baldhart, let us team up on the ancient one and the man of few words. Perhaps, with your easy words and my blunt ones, we can shake a few details out of our companions. Which one do we corner first?"

4. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell: *raises a brow at Ankari* There's no need to belabour me; you need only ask. What is it you wish to know?

5. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart: "Oh! I'd love to hear about the lucky girl, Líadan!"

6. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell: *chuckles, his gaze turning wistful again* She is a healer in Caer Celynnen, my Queen's castle. Tall and fair she is, with sky-blue eyes and long hair like nut-brown silk. She is all that a man could ask for -- beautiful, intelligent, loving, skilled and faithful to those she loves and serves. We have been together for hundreds of years now.

7. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: "I seem to remember hearing of her from the Commander in the Armory. She's the healer in Caer Celynnen, right Cadell? The Commander served there for a time many years ago. He went on and on about her prowess.

"So what do you do for the Queen, Cadell?"

8. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell: It was not long ago I completed my training to become a knight. In my youth I was trained as an illusionist, but I felt a knighthood would allow me to serve my Queen that much better. My first battle was this past spring -- my home was threatened by orcs, and I initiated a truce between my people and the humans who live in the forest to face a common foe. Much happened between the truce and the battle of which I will not speak. *He hides a shudder.*

I led the elves to battle, and the humans joined us both as warriors and healers. We suffered many losses on both sides, but were victorious in the end. The truce ended when the threat did, but I believe some of my people look more kindly on the humans now than before, and likewise for the humans.

9. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: "Some of them, yes. But not all."

10. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell: Indeed.

11. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

Ankari: "The root of the problem between elves and humans is envy and fear. Envy on the part of the humans and fear from the elves. You have to counter the basic obstacles to mend the relations. For elves, defeat envy with generosity. For humans, defeat fear with knowledge.

"The solution is simple but impossible to implement. Only when we combine forces to fight a common enemy do we forget our problems. Look around this campfire. You can see that survival dwarfs our innate animosity. It would do well for all races to send their leaders into the wild to survive together."

12. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: "The elves simply need to heed the words of the Second of Battles: 'It is cowardice that defines courage. For when we face the fear in our hearts and rise above it, we will have found the strength to fight.'

"As for the humans, envy isn't the only issue. Restraint is not something common to Men, it seems."

13. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell: *nods* Precisely. I have no ill will toward humans so long as they do not harm me or those I hold dear, but seldom did I go out of my way to aid them before the truce. Even doing that has cost me dearly.

*He shudders again, his expression turning angry; one hand reaches up unconsciously to touch the odd, thin scar that encircles his throat.*

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  14. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: "Being a child of both races, I am a living testament to the possibility of harmony between Elves and Men. I am, however, also a realist. I have my doubts that a true peace will ever exist. There's simply too much difference."

15. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart: "I don't see it. The difference, I mean. Other than that you elves age gracefully. I suppose that's where the envy comes from. But I know envy all too well.

"The girls used to envy me for my height, at least until they saw me bump my head on a door. And there are even men from the Iron Mountain who envy my strength. But I have it, so I know there is nothing to envy. Except red hair. My best friend--a true friend because she didn't get married off and forget I exist--is Addison Lane. I love her hair! Everyone does.

"But I'm the only girl who was ever jealous of her name. It means 'awesome warrior.'"

16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell: *smiles* And you certainly live up to it, from what I have seen of your battle skill.

17. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart: "Aw, thanks. But Addison is more like you—a sharpshooter. Or maybe more like Ankari. A knight like you is too proper to compare to one of my mountain girl friends!"

18. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell: You are very welcome. *laughs* I may be proper, but that alone is no indicator of skill.

19. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: Right. You Knights have a Code, do you not? Is that why you are so proper? What is entailed in such a thing?

20. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Codes and honor?
    Honor is a full belly, and enough coin to have a good ale to wash it down.
    Codes is the signal to distract a rich fool just before you take possession of his riches.

Give me gold enough to eat, drink and to bed a tavern tart, an annoying breathing animal near the full moon, and maybe a prize opal to please the preists, and my moon pendant always nearby, and I will be content.

Next round is on me...well, on that poor sob that staggered from the tavern, he will wake up tomorrow with a headache and missing a pouch of coin.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013