1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Around The Fire - The In-Character Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Sparkie, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

((I'm not sure I know how to answer that question, Sparkie. Steerpike and I haven't yet gone over exactly what Cadell's code entails. ^^; ))

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

((Ireth - the Code of Conduct under the class description is sort of the default, and what I generally assume it as work unless a player wants to modify it for their own character. So, you can either use that one as written or make some changes that fit your character's background and story, whichever you prefer.))

3. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

((No problem. Just have Cadell look at Rydh as if he's an idiot for not knowing.))

4. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Baldhart: "A tavern tart? Must you speak of such things in front of a young lady? Who are you, anyway?"

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
  5. Legendary Sidekick

((I'd like to get this going again, since it's likely we're about to enter battle mode—with the new avatars! Yay!))

Baldhart: "Welcome to the party, Aliron. And you too, Nod. I have your song stuck in my head. I won't snore / and I'll sleep on the floor."

6. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: Yes, welcome. It'll be good to have a bard around the fire. Will you grace us with a tune?

7. Philip Overby

Philip Overby Staff Article Team

Roses are red, violence is blue,
    The temple is burning, and you are too.

Nodrick Gnatcatcher, Copyright 2013

8. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: Um, alright. That was... good. Aliron, how are you?

9. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart: Nodrick Michael Gnatcatcher! A talented musician such as yourself, and that's the song you come up with? Well, I suppose one must make light of a tragic situation to keep our spirits up. But just the same, I wonder if the song you write about me might be an... instrumental?

(starts humming Ride of the Valkyries)

Hm, hm hmmm hmm / hm-hm-hm, hmmm hmm / hm-hm-hm, hmmmmm--

(brings a flask of ale to her lips, forgetting she's humming)

--blblblblbl...!

(stops humming)

10. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

I meant no disrespect, just making it clear what honor was to me.

11. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: Most of the songs I know involve fighting or Betula. Does anyone know of a peaceful song? Something pleasant to hear?

12. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell: I know many songs. What shall it be? A historical ballad? A love song? Or something else entirely?

13. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: Ah! Yes, Cadell, a love song. I'm sure you know of some good ones.

14. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell: *smiles and nods, thinking of a song* Indeed. I believe you will enjoy it. This one is called 'Pure Heart', or Calon Lân in my native tongue.

*clears his throat and sings*

I ask not for ease and riches
    Nor earth's jewels for my part
    But I have the best of wishes
    For a pure and honest heart.

Oh, pure heart so true and tender
    Fairer than the lilies white
    The pure heart alone can render
    Songs of joy both day and night.

Should I cherish earthly treasure
    It would fly on speedy wings
    The pure heart a plenteous measure
    Of true pleasure daily brings.

((Final verse omitted for religious references which Cadell would not appreciate. Full original Welsh lyrics and English translation here: Oh Pure Heart ))

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    Sparkie likes this.
  15. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: That was wonderful Cadell! What a good tune. I loved the first verse especially. Honest, pure heart. That's what counts.

16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell: *smiles* Thank you. It always reminds me of Líadan. It sounds quite lovely in my native tongue as well.

17. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

Matthew: I smile slightly. "I've always loved Elivsh singing, could we hear it in your native tongue?"

18. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: He's already sung it once, Matthew. No need to press him. I am curious, however, if you know of any songs or stories. What do you know of Tyr?

19. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

Matthew: "Most of the songs I know are about songs of mourning. I'm sure it would depress everyone to hear them."

20. Ankari

Ankari Hero Breaker Moderator

Ankari: There are older songs to appreciate. Older than the first spoken word. Older, still, than the first crush of raw earth beneath the foot of the primal people from which we have inherited this world. Unlike Cadell's song, it doesn't need a strong, clear voice to carry the notes that press against the heart and releases sweet appreciation.

Close your eyes and quiet your mind. Listen to the eternal sound of the land, every present and always changing. In it, there is hunger and sacrifice, death and life, rejoice and peace."