1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Around The Fire - The In-Character Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Dragon's Egg RPG' started by Sparkie, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Legendary Sidekick

Legendary Sidekick The HAM'ster Moderator

Baldhart: I still remember my training days on the Iron Mountain. It was me, a ranger, and a monk—out in the wild for a full month.

It was Deerstalker training for me, but I was the only girl in my class, as were the ranger- and monk-in-training. We were all required to prove our worth through survival in the wilderness, and our respective elders thought it appropriate that we group together rather than spend a month in the woods with otherwise all-male parties.

It was as you say, Ankari. Of all the training sessions I endured, this is the one I look back at most fondly.

2. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: Training was grueling for me. Running and lifting at sunrise, Codex reading in the late morning, swordplay and dueling in the afternoon, magical study after supper. Lots of long days. Looking back, I sometimes wonder how I made it.

3. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

Matthew: It was similar for me as well, but I learned the writings of Tyr not the Codex. Plus I had to learn a good deal to do with horses. As difficult as training was, I sometimes regret leaving after only two years. I could have avoided a lot of pain if I was more experienced when I began leading armies. A lot of men would still be alive.

4. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: Horses, eh? Did you break horses? Breed them? What did your training involve?

5. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

I learned to ride them, fight on them, take care of them . . . clean up after them. I also learned a great deal of other things. The priests of Tyr were good teachers. As was six years of war. I've learned to tend the wounds of men, even a few elves on rare occasion. I've tended to the wounds of animals; I’ve helped with the births of both humans and animals. I learned to fight with the spear, sword, lance, axe, scythe, sickle, knife, and shovel. I’ve learned how to command forces of hundreds and forces smaller than ten. I’ve learned much, but still have much to learn.

6. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: One question, Sir Matthew. How do you fight with a shovel?

7. Legendary Sidekick

((I am NOT making this up. I actually dreamed Sir Matthew was training me (not Baldhart, just me) to fight with a "war shovel." It wasn't a real shovel. He was making one out of folded paper. I think the handle was a long cardboard tube. We argued about the correct way to fold the paper to make the war shovel shape, so I never did get my lesson.))

Baldhart: I once met a man who wielded Rasmouth, his war shovel. He was a strange man, naming his shovel and claiming it a weapon. The men of my mountain joked that the only thing the man could do with Rasmouth was dig his own grave. I didn't find the comment funny at all. Several men from my mountain have been known to use barstools as weapons—and they're more attached to those stools than their own wives, that lot! I suggested they learn from Rasmouth's wielder and name the stools they love so much!

Huh… Rasmouth's wilder? Funny that I remember the name of the shovel, but not the man. I don't believe the man ever introduced himself, only his shovel.

8. Phietadix

Phietadix Archmage

Matthew: It is relatively simple to fight with a shovel. But it's not the most effective weapon. Only used when nothing else is available. The Iron shovel at the top is a good bludgeoning weapon. The handle can be used as a quarter staff. Not my weapon of choice but I've had the need to fight with one from time to time.

A war shovel? With a name? I've never heard of such a thing.

9. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart: A good weapon deserves a good name. Maybe the shovel served the bespectacled stranger well.

The only weapon I ever knew that had a name was Hanako Kojima. Hanako is a monk. She is a weapon! She fights with her fists, and her armor is her faith. Some say fighting monks use speed as their armor, or it is their wisdom that allows them to predict where an opponent will strike. I wasn't so religious at the time, but Hanako and I sparred every day for a whole month. I assure you: it is faith that guides a monk from the blades and arrows of her enemies.

10. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

Rydh: Faith as armor? I think I'd enjoy meeting this Hanako, whoever she is. Is she an elf?

11. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart: I believe she is human, but it's hard to say. She is thin as a rail. Elves are always so skinny, and she wears her hair over her ears. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of her being part elf, but she never mentioned it. She is from a small island in the East.

12. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Cadell picks up a long branch and stirs the dying embers back up to flames. He looks around in the growing firelight, wondering why everyone has gone so quiet, but unsure if he wishes to be the one to break it.

Legendary Sidekick likes this.
  13. Keitsumah

Keitsumah Inkling

Trees rustled nearby and Keit came out, looking very exasperated as Batos padded next to her, a large rabbit in his jaws.

"I swear he thinks he needs to stuff me. He already ate and now won't leave me alone about the rabbit!" I muttered, and Batos snorted, giving Cadell a look that practically screamed Girls.

Dropping the rabbit by the fireplace, the wolf looked up towards the moon for several seconds as if regaining some patience as Keit continued to mumble, pacing back and forth. Looking behind him, their shadows crossed the trees, and for a second one might have seen a man's shadow instead of a wolf's pacing alongside Keitsumah's. Long hair fell down to his shoulders, and claws protruded from his fingertips. But any other features were missing, and as fast as the image appeared, it vanished.

14. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

Poking a stick at the embers that are beginning to flame up.
    "Anyone know any harpy lore?
    How old a harpy is when she starts to fly?
    When do they get their magical musical voice?
    How long do Harpies live?

Maybe a chorus of:
    "I believe I can fly" might get her to test her wings.

15. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa hangs onto the stick, and lets Cadell pull her from the fire.

Nissa: "I believe she can learn to fly. Since we're hanging out by the fire, I can help with that."

Baldhart: "Not until you put some clothes on!"

Nissa: "You're more prudish than a shield maiden."

She slips into her toga, then moves close to Branwen, slowly moving her wings. She giggles with delight as the harpy child mimics the motion.

16. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

From her place at Cadell's side, Líadan looks up in interest as Nissa appears, then politely averts her eyes until the tiny woman is clothed.

Líadan: Well met, Nissa. I've heard quite a bit about you. It's a pleasure to finally meet you in person.

17. Legendary Sidekick

Nissa: "Same here. Cadell mentioned you long before we met. He spoke of you day the Baldy mustered the nerve to mention my existence."

Baldhart: "I used to be the only one who could see her. I figured everyone would think I'm nuts if I said I spoke to a Valkyrie that no one else could see.

"I imagine even a cleric such as yourself would have a hard time accepting Nissa if only my eyes and ears could detect her. Or... is it normal for clerics to see agents of their gods? I never met a cleric of Brynhild, so I'm not sure how common Valkyrie sightings are."

Nissa: "And... you never thought to ask me that? Liadan, it's normally a warrior who's about to die who sees me."

Nissa looks around nervously at Baldhart's allies.

Nissa: "Um... don't be alarmed by my words. I don't mean you guys. I'm not here for soul collection. Hahahahaha! 'Soul collection!' Isn't that a funny phrase? It's not like we put souls in a box, we guide you to Valhalla! Ha, ha--uh.. I mean, not you you. The royal you."

Nissa tugs on Baldhart's skirt.

Nissa: (sheepishly) "Make me stop?"

Baldhart: "Yeah. So anyway, Liadan, do you ever communicate with agents of Oercus?"

18. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

"I think even if she's too young, moving the wings will help to strengthen the muscles and stimulate her mind to control the wings." I smile watching Branwen moving her wings.

19. Keitsumah

Keitsumah Inkling

I watch Branwen curiously, then glance at Batos disgustedly. He still has that darn rabbit.

"Give it to Branwen," i tell him, and the wolf huffs, padding over to the harpy child and looking up at Baldart. "Baldart -just take the rabbit if you want to cook it first, or could batos just give it to Branwen? It might help her get over her fear of him." i explain.

20. Legendary Sidekick

Baldhart: "How about I cook it, then let Batos bring it to her?"