1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Article on Magic here at Mythic Scribes

Discussion in 'Self-Promotion' started by acapes, Aug 13, 2014.

1. acapes

acapes Sage

Hopefully this isn't redundant of me to post this here (and apologies if that's so), but I'm really happy to see an article I wrote right here on Mythic Scribes - love to hear what everyone thinks!

It's on the role of 'soft' magic systems:

‘Soft’ Magic Systems Still Have a Place

Black Dragon likes this.
  2. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

Myself, I'm a fan of soft magic. there I admit it...
    I like the wiggle room it gives you to do or not do stuff.
    I try to write small magic. I rarely have Great Wizards riding dragons and blasting mountains and armies with a single thought. I try to make my magic users more personal, let their magic be rare, organic and low key.
    Personally I think D&L Edding [few rules] and JRR Tolkien [not really explaining it at all] are the best approaches unless your story is about the limitations of the magic... I'm usually more interested in the repercussions of its [non-] use than the mechanism for its existence.
    With any hard or soft magic the chance/risk of the deus ex machina is going to be there. The "with a bound our hero[ine] was free" is the pitfall you can leave yourself open to. I try to make the stumble a few times if they try...

3. acapes

acapes Sage

Hey CupofJoe - I agree and I love the very simple set of rules on Eddings' magic system, very neat, huh?

Me too, and the stumbling's part of the fun I reckon - and it's probably more realistic too, more in maintaining suspension of disbelief.