1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Artists who also Write fantasy

Discussion in 'Fantasy Art' started by Dizwhi, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Dizwhi

Dizwhi New Member

I've just read Todd Lockwood's novel The Summer Dragon A good read, and as a writer/artist myself, I really enjoyed seeing pieces of his artwork included. I'd love to see more of the same in other novels.

2. La Volpe

La Volpe Sage

I recall a book by Neil Gaiman (writer) and Chris Riddell (artist) that did this. The Sleeper and the Spindle.

I've also seen it in his Coraline. And I vaguely remember pictures in my copy of Druid of Shannara by Terry Brooks.

None of these have writing and art by the same person, I think, but might still be relevant.

3. Nomadica

Nomadica Troubadour

I plan to have illustrations in my story. I love it when people add them in. To bad it seems to be almost taboo. I love concept art especially and I think thats a perfect art style for novels.

4. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

Tolkien's illustrations in The Hobbit have always appealed to me.
    I love the mix of illustrations and text in Terry Pratchett's Last Hero [illustrated by Paul Kidby] and Eric [Josh Kirby].
    It's [more than] a graphic novel but not [just] a novel, I think Watchmen is incredible in blending things together. Writer Alan Moore, artist Dave Gibbons, and colourist John Higgins [he always seems to be forgotten :(] are at the top of their games. I like the film [ducks to avoid thing being hurled at me] but the original book is so much better...

Rkcapps likes this.
  5. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Sage

I haven't created illustrations for any of my novels (aside from the covers and title page) but I have done a couple children's books with my art, a picture book and a beginners' chapter book. Obviously, those sort of books require illustration. Some of my poetry books have my own pictures in them, some have other people's art. Honestly, though I am a decent painter, I do not think illustration is my strength. Plus, it just takes too much time when I would rather write.

6. A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan (which I read recently) has some pretty nice illustrations included throughout. It's written as the memoir of the narrator, and she's an artist, so it fits.

As for me, a couple of my ideas I'm processing present themselves to me in a visual medium; I want to write them as graphic novels. I'm not a particularly great artist at the moment, but I'm confident I can get much better. I want to bring these stories to life, anyhow.

7. Lumani

Lumani Minstrel

Howdy! :)

My art thread contains characters and scenes from the novel i'm currently working to finish. :) I would love to publish an art book or include my illustrations if i'm ever lucky enough to publish. I always enjoyed reading novels with illustrations included!