1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

ASSASSIN'S CREED ODYSSEY

Discussion in 'Games' started by Reaver, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Reaver

Reaver Kwisatz Haderach Moderator

October can't get here fast enough! This game is going to be more epic than Origins.

Sheilawisz likes this.
  2. Sheilawisz

Sheilawisz Staff Moderator

Hello Reaver!

So all of those rumors about a Greece setting were true. I am surprised to see that AC Odyssey takes place in a past even more distant than Origins, since certainly I did not expect Ubisoft to go all the way back to the Peloponnesian War. The game looks very similar to Origins in many aspects, and it sure seems great but...

There is a great controversy between AC fans, regarding whether Odyssey is going to be a real Assassin's Creed game or not.

In my very personal opinion, the only real Assassin's Creed is the first one. I do believe that taking the AC games to ancient Greece and Egypt has been a little extreme, but in order to be less of an extremist myself I want to provide my own personal list of characteristics that all AC games need so they can somehow be called AC:

1- Climb a lot of tall buildings!
    2- Detailed cities to explore.
    3- Historically accurate recreation of those places from the past.
    4- Cool combat systems.
    5- Assassinations, with or without stealth elements.
    6- Leaps of Faith.
    7- Murder of innocent people.

To me, if Odyssey completes those seven requirements then it's going to be an AC game no matter what. I hope that it's going to be very successful even though right now I have no interest on ever purchasing it, and also I hope that you are going to love it.

See ya! =)

3. Black Dragon

Black Dragon Staff Administrator

I've been playing Assassins Creed Odyssey since Christmas, and am absolutely loving it. The Greek setting is fantastic, with many mythological references. The combat system has been tweaked since Origins, although it is mostly the same. The skill tree and loot systems have been vastly improved, in my opinion.

All in all, it's a great Assassins Creed game. In reference to SheilawiszSheilawisz's list above, it has all of the following:

1- Climb a lot of tall buildings!
    2- Detailed cities to explore.
    3- Historically accurate recreation of those places from the past.
    4- Cool combat systems.
    5- Assassinations, with or without stealth elements.
    6- Leaps of Faith.

I don't know about number 7, though, as I haven't tried that. I like to play as a virtuous hero. :)

The biggest change, however, is that your decisions now impact the story. It's a lot like the Witcher 3 in this regard. The story can potentially move in different directions, and the choices that you make determines how it unfolds. My understanding is that there are many possible endings, like in the Witcher.

Have you had a chance to play it yet, ReaverReaver?

Reaver and Sheilawisz like this.
  4. skip.knox

skip.knox Staff Moderator

My wife and I played it quite a bit. I had to lay off for a while because of the arthritis in my hands. "Make thousands of micro-movements over the course of hours" rarely appears in the list of arthritis therapies.

But the game was great. As someone who spent much of his life teaching pre-modern Western Civ courses, being able to "visit" these places was a delight. Especially as the eagle. Being able to see Thermopylae from different angles (and from the ancient shoreline rather than the modern) was a particular pleasure. It was also striking to see, from the deck of a ship, how close and numerous are the islands of the Aegean.

As for the gameplay, it was fine. Very smooth. I liked that I could, in most cases, choose to engage in a fight or to walk (run) away. It let me choose the level of intensity. God of War was more engaging as a story, but AC Odyssey felt more like a world.

And you can definitely do the 7 if you've a mind to.

Reaver and Sheilawisz like this.
  5. Reaver

I have, BD, and I absolutely love this game! I've completed it as both Alexios and Kassandra. I bought the Ultimate Edition which adds some new levels and a new cult called The Order of the Ancients. I also really like how your choices affect the outcome of the game and how you can encounter the people they affect later in the story and do side missions for them. I'd love to see screen shots of everyone's character here.

Sheilawisz likes this.
  6. Reaver

Here's a screenshot of Kassandra in the game I'm playing currently. More to follow. :D

[​IMG][​IMG]

Steerpike and Sheilawisz like this.
  7. Reaver

Like Black Dragon said earlier, there are a lot of mythological references:

[​IMG]

Sheilawisz likes this.
  8. Sheilawisz

Sheilawisz Staff Moderator

Hello everyone!

There are so many great reviews of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, posted here and in other sites that I know as well. The graphics are truly beautiful and stunning, thank you Reaver for those screenshots!

This game remains in my list of possible gaming purchases, but it's still very expensive here and that's why I chose Witcher 3 last December.

I am not very fond of this story-heavy RPG formula seen in Witcher, Horizon Zero Dawn and the most recent AC games, but I am trying to get used to it!

Their worlds are huge, the graphics are dazzling beautiful and combat is fun, that's for sure.

Reaver likes this.
  9. Reaver

Here's one more of Kassandra wearing the Hades armor. I'm hoping to see other players post their character screenshots here, Come on folks, don't be shy. :D

[​IMG]

Sheilawisz and Steerpike like this.
  10. Reaver

You're welcome, Sheila! The great thing about AC Odyssey is that you can take your time playing through the story. By that I mean there are literally hundreds of side quests, bounties, politicians and other people to assassinate, Legendary animals to hunt, conquest battles, shipwrecks and sunken cities to explore... I could go on. I hope that you'll get the chance to play it soon. :)

Sheilawisz likes this.