1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

ASSASSIN'S CREED ODYSSEY

Discussion in 'Games' started by Reaver, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Reaver

Reaver Kwisatz Haderach Moderator

No quise hacerte triste mi amiga. :(

I hope that you buy AC Odyssey Sheila. It's a great game and now with the level cap of 99, I'm sure Ubisoft will continue their updates and support for a long time. The system requirement for the game is 47 GB. But then there are updates and DLC( if you decide get them).

I personally haven't experienced any motion sickness while playing this game

The skill tree and leveling are a lot more simplified in this game and ithey allow you to spend ability points according to how you want to play. AC Syndicate was limiting in that aspect.

Another really cool thing is being able to combine your armor's properties depending on your play style.

I haven't had any heating issues at all playing this game.

All in all, I highly recommend this game because of the characters, the fantastic storytelling, the great combat system, the beautiful scenery and despite the fact that it takes place in Greece after the Peloponnesian war, you can still play as an assassin. To me that's pretty cool.

2. FifthView

FifthView Istar

I've been wanting it, but lately I resist paying full price for games that will drop to rock-bottom low prices eventually.

Then, tonight, on a whim, I checked on Amazon, and the basic game on PS4 is being listed at under 20 bucks.

In the cart it goes!

Black Dragon, Reaver and Sheilawisz like this.
  3. Sheilawisz

Sheilawisz Queen of Titania Moderator

Hello everyone!

Yeah, I do the same. In my opinion, prices are unfairly high when a game is very famous, hyped and just released into the market. I prefer to wait for the price to get lower before I purchase the game in question, and this also means that the necessary patches, upgrades and whatnot are going to be available for me immediately.

Well, I hope that you are going to love AC Odyssey!

I just checked, and it remains unfairly expensive in my area. In the other hand, AC Origins is already a lot cheaper here! I think that I am going to purchase Origins first, and I would eventually get Odyssey only in case that I really enjoy Origins to start with.

It so happens that I am just about to sell AC Unity (decent game and I finished it, hated the ending and I am not going to play it all over again), Garden Warfare 2 (a very bad game if compared to my favorite GW1) and Motion Sickness 3: The Wild Sickness (otherwise known as The Witcher 3), so that shall provide me with enough cash to get a new copy of AC Origins next week.

Sometimes I have criticized Assassin's Creed a lot, but it's indeed a wonderful franchise!

Long Live Assassin's Creed.

Black Dragon, Reaver and FifthView like this.
  4. FifthView

FifthView Istar

I have AC Unity and Witcher 3, but have hardly played either. I don't know why, but I grew bored with both. My only other AC game, Black Flag, was my first, and I loved it. I just checked AC Origins, and it's still higher priced on Amazon for me.

I've been playing Fallout 4 for a few months now and haven't completed it. I'm loving it. So when Odyssey is delivered in a couple days, I'm going to have a dilemma. Play immediately or continue with Fallout 4?

Sheilawisz likes this.
  5. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

Origins was great fun. Such a huge game. I liked Odyssey even better, but mostly as exploration. I got a bit lost in the storyline (I tend to grind rather than run straight through), but being able to see Thermopylae from the air was worth the trip. Even better, it's the Thermopylae of the 5thc BC, which has changed significantly over the centuries, so even if I were to go there today, by air, I wouldn't see what I saw in the game.

Black Dragon, Reaver and Sheilawisz like this.
  6. Reaver

Origins is a great game and I plan on getting back into it as soon as life permits. With Odyssey's level cap now at 99 plus all the daily, weekly and monthly DLC that I get with my season pass and New Game Plus added to the mix...

Then of course there's AC III Remastered that I want to play that comes complete with The Tyranny of King Washington and the Aveline DLC that comes with the AC Odyssey season Pass as well.

Add all the above to the fact that I'm a chronic completionist...So, yeah, Bayek''s going to have to wait for me.

Black Dragon and Sheilawisz like this.
  7. Sheilawisz

Sheilawisz Queen of Titania Moderator

Just play it immediately, otherwise the excitement factor is lost!

The problem with AC Unity is that it takes quite some time and damn tutorial after damn tutorial to reach the point when you are set free in Paris, and even then Arno is very much a wimp for combat. The character needs a lot of gameplay and development before you can actually play as a trained Assassin, but eventually the combat and assassination missions are pretty great.

I never quite liked the somber Paris though, there are too many people, everything feels so dirty and miserable (historically accurate, I guess?) and the PS4 gets strained a lot by this game.

I kind of admire Completionist gamers, even though I am not one of them. It would be a nightmare to complete AC Unity all the way to 100%, but this is something that I really plan to accomplish with my beloved Syndicate.

At this point, Bayek and Origins feel much more attractive to me than anything I have seen about Odyssey so far.

Reaver, Black Dragon and FifthView like this.
  8. Reaver

I guess that you'll have to wait until you finally get Odyssey to see which one you like better, Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Origins. The story is fantastic, the combat system is challenging and at the same time awesome.

The map is positively gigantic and it's also the first time you can utilize your pet eagle, Senu, who can scout enemy positions and even where dangerous animals are lying in wait.

They developers really brought ancient Egypt to life with all the pyramids and other structures and well... I won't spoil the rest...

This is just my opinion but Origins and Odyssey are polar opposites. The environment in Origins is harsh and stark (as it should be) whereas in Odyssey it varies from sunny beaches to lush forests to snow-capped mountains.

Even the characters are polar opposites. Bayek is somber and fierce (with good reason I don't want to get into any spoilers) while Kassandra and her brother Alexios (both playable depending on whom you choose at the start of the game) are, for the most part, full of hope.

Either way, all the AC games are great in their own way (with the exception of Unity..sorry just my opinion) and I plan on rebuilding my AC collection once they're all available for the PS4 or next Playstation console.

So far, I own AC Odyssey, AC Origins, The Ezio Collection, Black Flag, Freedom Cry, AC III, AC Rogue and AC Syndicate.

I hope that you'll have a great time playing Origins and once you get Odyssey maybe you'll see for yourself that it's a fantastic game as well.

Black Dragon and Sheilawisz like this.
  9. FifthView

FifthView Istar

I've put a lot of hours into playing AC:Odyssey since I received it. I love the game.

But there's a problem that often happens when I play massive open world games. There's too much to do! I was playing along fine until the whole cultist tree opened up. At first, I thought it was exciting. But it has added so much, I find I'm push-pulled in too many directions, and this week I started to fatigue from the game. I've been playing still, but spend less time than at first.

There's also the problem of too-quick level advancement, since it means the gear I've chosen needs upgraded often and I'm suffering from limited resources. I end up wearing gear several levels below my level because I can't upgrade it quickly enough—and I'm loath to switch to higher level gear I collect because the bonuses aren't as great as what I already have, heh. The fact that NPC opponents scale up in level with me only adds to the irritation: my sense of "advancement" in abilities, with leveling, is diminished.

But it's a gorgeous world. The one question that continues to enter my mind is whether the historical ancient Greece was quite as developed as the cities I encounter in the game? On the one hand, I assume the game developers took liberties with their world creation; on the other, I'm fascinated by the idea that the cities actually did sprawl this widely with all that intricate architecture and beauty. (Yesterday for a moment I tried to imagine the actual dirt, mud and filth the historical cities must have had, rather than the pristine city planning in the game...)

Sheilawisz likes this.
  10. Black Dragon

Black Dragon Staff Administrator

I'm having the same issue with regard to gear. I don't have enough resources to keep my gear up to my level. What I'm doing now is only upgrading my gear every five levels. That seems to be working out for me.

I have the same questions. Were the ancient cities really that magnificent? And were they actually pretty filthy, as I've been told, or did the ancient Greeks actually keep them fairly pristine? I think there's one person on these forums who can answer these questions, and his name is skip.knoxskip.knox.

FifthView likes this.
  11. skip.knox

Back from my trip, so I can finally chime in here. There are two aspects to this question--the historical one and the game one. The latter is pretty easy to address: every scrap of paper, every pile of *ahem* in a corner, means more code. I think they did a fine job in Odyssey (I've played but not completed the game) of providing lots of details, but the line of returns diminishes pretty quickly. So, let's say that the game world is less cluttered than the real, and necessarily so. Maybe in the future there will be a trash generating engine. :)

The historical is more complicated. I could make the argument that the center of any modern city is pretty filthy. Certainly a farm can be called filthy or clean, depending on whether you're from the city or the country. So there's the whole social and personal context aspect. I'm not sure there's any way to have an objective measure. I can point out that while it may appall a modern reader to learn that people dumped garbage into the street, and relieved themselves pretty much wherever, that too is a matter of acculturation. As for disease and such, I note that more people died of typhus and cholera in the early 19th than they did in ancient Greece or Rome. I also not that this fact has so many variables to it, one can't really draw conclusions from it.

I'm pretty sure that if I were dropped into any of the cities in any of the Assassin's Creed worlds, I'd say they were stinky and chaotic and crowded. I'm pretty sure that if any of the people from any of those cities were dropped into New York or Paris or Shanghai, they'd say the same about ours.

Have I dodged the question sufficiently?

12. FifthView

FifthView Istar

Maybe. :LOL:

The "dirt, mud and filth" I'd mentioned was in the parenthetical, heh. Mostly, I'm fascinated by the level of sprawling development of the cities, and that the civilization is portrayed almost as wall-to-wall development with some wilderness in between but only as punctuation. Go to a new island? Well, there are huge, columned temples in the cities there, also, and paved, not-too crowded but definitely developed city streets, homes and official buildings. Lots of landscaping. Huge walls around all the major cities. Sometimes crowded sea, with triremes going here and there and everywhere. Bustle.

I'd never pictured ancient Greece this way. Even the larger cities I'd imagined to be more haphazard, with perhaps some areas of less-cluttered and more focused development—the agora area, mostly, perhaps some areas with the major temples. I'd imagined more wilderness, also.

13. FifthView

FifthView Istar

I have to say, I've spent a lot of my free time playing AC:Odyssey since receiving it, and now that I've reached a certain point, having "completed" some of the major open world tasks like reaching the top level of the mercenary ranks, killing all those large animals in the hunting quests, reaching the #1 position in the arena, and killing most of the cultist members....starting to get bored with it.

I'm a little frustrated by the cultist tree, since there are a handful of the lower level cultists left and no clear indication of how I should find them.

In games like this, I also tend to delay advancement in the main storyline, just because I don't want the game to "end" before I've done the other open world tasks. So I know a little more of the cultist tree might open if I now focus on the main story. Which I've been doing, half-heartedly. That's another recurring feature of my game play with open-world games: I become more engrossed in the parts not involving the main story and generally bored with the main story. It's happened now with this game.

I find myself wishing for an Assassin's Creed game set in an entirely fantasy world. I love the mechanics of this game and would love to be an assassin in some fantasy world with wondrous fantasy settings, creatures, politics, races, magic, etc. Heh.

14. skip.knox

As for Greece, all the named places are real places--the towns, the temples--so I don't think they packed it there. I do wonder about scale. How many days does it take to walk across AC Greece? How many days across real Greece? I doubt it's a 1:1 scale, so that could account for a sense of compression.

As for open-world games, I feel much the same way. But I treat them as places to visit more than stories to follow. Scale can work against a game there. Give me just twelve cultists. Give me maybe five legendary creatures. But if you give me twenty or fifty, each triumph is diminished. One can enjoy only just so many triumphal parades. I did enjoy Fallout 3 as a story, and I very much enjoyed God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn as stories.

FifthView likes this.
  15. FifthView

FifthView Istar

Probably, yes. I've found the listed distances, when running across the landscape, to be funny. I'm usually better off simply running, not summoning my horse, due to the terrain. Especially in cities, but also in mountainous areas, of which there are plenty.

Horizon: Zero Dawn felt just about right for scale. Plus, the story seemed more integrated throughout, even with a lot of the side quests. The discovery aspect of the story made those other activities seem a part of the overall story.

With AC:Odyssey, there's a feeling that all the side quests matter almost not at all; for instance, if my character is obsessed with saving his mother and learning the truth about his father, then why is he spending time in the Arena or hunting legendary animals, etc.?

This was an issue with Fallout 4 also. MC is desperate to find out what happened to his son, but even after finding more clues, which theoretically should spur him on even more strongly in this main quest, he's doing all sorts of extraneous things like building communities and clearing random locations, killing random mobs. (I never played Fallout 3. Four was my first in that series.)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019