Assassin's Creed: Origins

Discussion in 'Games' started by Reaver, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Reaver

Reaver Dune Lord Moderator

In my opinion this game is the greatest of the Assassin's Creed franchise and probably one of the best video games I've ever played. Here's a direct capture of game play from my Playstation 4:

Black Dragon and Sheilawisz like this.
  2. Sheilawisz

Sheilawisz Staff Moderator

Hello Reaver!

Thanks for sharing that video of your gameplay with AC Origins. I have been interested in that game since weeks ago, but to be honest the Ancient Egypt setting does not attract me too much. However, you and also other Gamers that I know have been speaking nothing but wonders about the latest AC entry and now I am starting to change my mind about it.

What can you tell us of the protagonist? They say that Origins is more similar to The Witcher 3 or perhaps Skyrim than it is to older AC games, what do you think of that? What about the weapons and combat system in general?

I do want to get AC Origins, but the price of this fine game here is really high and I just recently purchased Horizon Zero Dawn as you know. With high-cost games, I prefer to wait for the price to drop at least a little... This means that I am not going to get my hands on Origins for at least a few more months.

Hey, is it possible to kill civilians in Origins?

Reaver likes this.
  3. Reaver

The game is great because it takes all the best features of all the previous games and gets rid of all the bad stuff. Better than all that, it adds a lot of stuff that hasn't been done before. Too much to list here really.

But a few things you can do is: tame wild animals such as lions and leopards who will then follow you around and attack enemies, fight in gladiator arenas and race chariots in the hippodrome, gain experience points and put them into skills on a skill tree (much like Horizon: Zero Dawn) and a whole bunch of other things.

The combat system is completely different and kind of hard to describe, I'll post a video demonstrating it soon. The weapons are traditional Egyptian, Greek and Roman weapons and like Horizon, there are three types: Regular, Rare and Legendary. Unlike Horizon, you can upgrade your weapons commensurate with your current level at a blacksmith, find them in tombs or buy them from a special merchant.

The protagonist is a man called Bayek, he's the last medjay (or magi, medjai depending on personal preference), the holy protector of the Pharaoh. He's a skilled and formidable warrior whose duty is to protect not only the Pharaoh but all of Egypt. I really can't say any more about him without getting into spoilers suffice it to say that he's very likable as a character and fun to play.

To answer your question, yes you can kill civilians in the game. When you do a message appears saying something to the effect of: The Medjay are protectors of the innocent, not murderers. Also, you won't desynchronize if you kill over a certain amount like in previous games.

Sheilawisz likes this.
  4. Sheilawisz

Thanks for that good and detailed answer, Reaver!

The concept of collecting weapons from three different cultures is intriguing, and I am attracted to the idea of fighting Roman soldiers in personal duels. Many AC players criticized Syndicate for its scarce variety of weapons, so perhaps that's why the developers decided to make the weaponry system of Origins more complex and special.

Bayek sounds nice too, even though I doubt that I am going to like him as much as Altair!

Well, those unfortunate Origins civilians are going to be in a hell of a trouble when I get to play the game. What I love the most about Syndicate is the ability to cause great havoc and destruction wherever I go (especially since my Evie reached level 7!), and killing civilians is a very important part of that.

Evie and company's game is pretty much Grand Theft Auto in Victorian London, and I know that I cannot expect the same from Bayek's game but I am sure that it's going to be fun.

5. LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa Lore Master

Nothing to add, except that fun fact about the word assassin, it comes from the root word Hashashin, which was a specialized hitman during the Ottoman empire.

Sheilawisz likes this.
  6. Black Dragon

Black Dragon Staff Administrator

I too was not interested in the ancient Egypt setting. I pictured a lot of sand, without the awesome cityscapes that make for great parkour. Well, I was wrong.

The game takes places during the height of the Roman Empire, and incorporates historical figures from that period, such as Cleoptra and Julius Caesar. If you are interested in Roman history, and how it intersects with Egypt, then this is the game for you.

Also, there are plenty of cities to explore, with lots of opportunities for epic parkour. My favorite is Alexandria, where you get to climb and explore the legendary Pharos Lighthouse (one of the wonders of the ancient world). You also get to visit the famed Library of Alexandria, which contained some of the greatest writings of antiquity before it burned to the ground. As a fan of ancient history, I love the setting of this game.

Reaver and Sheilawisz like this.
  7. Sheilawisz

Thank you, Black Dragon!

The more you and other Gamers tell me about AC Origins, the more interested I am in that game. Several beautiful cities and famous historical landmarks to climb and explore, that's what I want! The protagonist Bayek sounds and looks cool enough, he seems to be the kind of playable character that I really enjoy.

The bird thing that Bayek uses to explore an area looks strange, but I am sure that it's going to be a lot of fun.

You are right L.W. and actually that's what the original Assassin's Creed game is all about.

In the original game, you are an Assassin from Masyaf, Syria during the times of the Third Crusade. The Hashashins of real world history actually had a castle at Masyaf for real, and they were really led by this old man of the mountain (just like in the game!) and they really assassinated important political targets by being all stealthy and cunning.

Assassin's Creed was all about being an Assassin, which means venturing into highly secret missions to eliminate certain very important men that your old and mysterious boss wants dead. Altair (the super skilled Assassin that you play as) strives not only to do his dirty job, but also to learn and slowly understand what the freaking hell is actually happening at the Holy Land.

However, people were not happy with a straight forward game about being an Assassin and they complained!

Then we get AC2, and instead of a real Assassin we got some Italian playboy with a vengeance quest. Oh, and you have money and you steal treasure from chests, and you visit shops like in a Zelda game, and you paint his clothing in a variety of colors and also the protagonist has various romantic adventures.

The series got even crazier with certain pirate adventure games called AC4 Black Flag and AC Rogue. I am not sure about AC Unity because I have barely started to play it, but AC Syndicate is a Gangsters game set in Victorian London with many gameplay elements very similar to Grand Theft Auto games.

I love Syndicate to no end, of that I am guilty!

Now we have Origins telling us that the entire Assassin Brotherhood started in (Gasp!) Ancient Egypt! Alright, as long as I get cool places to explore and a great combat system and plenty of civilians to murder, I shall be happy with it.

Sorry for all of that, I really love to talk about the AC series =)

LWFlouisa likes this.
  8. Black Dragon

I just realized that last month was the 10 year anniversary of Assassin's Creed.

Here's a neat video that intersperses gameplay footage from the original game with the most recent installment:

Sheilawisz and Reaver like this.
  9. Reaver

The "bird thing" in the game is Bayek's pet eagle, Senu. She flies ahead to scout out the location of enemies, treasures, hidden entrances, wild animals and many more things that are in the vicinity. Here's a quick video I made of gameplay captured on my PS4,

10. Reaver

Here's a quick video I made of Bayek fighting at the gladiator arena in Cyrene. I think it's a good demo of the combat system.

11. Reaver

I forgot to mention that this game has a photo mode which allows you to take some pretty amazing screen shots. The quality of the image is so great that I print them out on photo quality paper and frame them. Here's one I took quite some time ago:

[​IMG]

Steerpike and Sheilawisz like this.
  12. Sheilawisz

Thanks for that video, Black Dragon!

I see that Bayek and Origins have an atmosphere quite reminiscent of Altair and his adventure. I love the fact that the AC series has always paid homage to the original game, and this time the developers have done it again in a better and clearer style. I am starting to really like Bayek, and I have not even played his game yet.

What, just a pet eagle? I thought that the eagle was some kind of magical bird or at least a guardian spirit of some kind. I am sure that this new scout-by-bird power is very useful and also loads of fun. Thanks for the videos Reaver, especially the one of that combat arena. The combat system of Origins looks... different, but in a good way.

Anyway, I'll be playing Horizon Zero Dawn first and it will be some time before I can try Bayek's cool game.

13. LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa Lore Master

I'm interested in the French Revolution one, although I'm disappointed that (from the Lets Plays I've seen) only King Louis is who gets the chop.

Largely cause French Revolution is kind of my favorite era, short of 19th century France.

14. Sheilawisz

In that case I really recommend Assassin's Creed Unity to you, L.W.

Some people have complained that the game is not very historically accurate, but world history in the AC universe has always been quite different to the real history of our world. The advantage in Unity is that the Paris of Revolutionary times is incredibly beautiful, with an extreme level of details in everything from the buildings to the very clothing of everyone.

It has excellent atmosphere, you really feel like you are in the middle of chaos and riots and all that. They achieved that by designing entire crowds of angry people in the streets, and also there are armed (and hostile!) fighters everywhere!

The combat of Unity is also particularly intense and bloody.

The only problem could be Arno Dorian, the protagonist Assassin. In my views he is quite likeable, but many players have complained that he is too cold and boring. Oh and you would have to download a very serious amount of Patches for the game to be playable, since it was completely broken at release date.

Black Dragon and LWFlouisa like this.
  15. Lunaairis

Lunaairis Grandmaster

I have only two complaints for the game;

One, I really don't like the combat system in this game(assassin's creed origins). It's too Dark Souls like and doesn't fit the 'stealth action' the series is known for. Although it is great in gladiator fights. Everywhere else it was way to cumbersome. I miss the fighting in Assassin's Creed 1 where there was a rhythm to it. It bothers me especially since the combat of the first game was less numbers dependent and more physical skill at the game dependent. While this one you just get better items and collect resources to increase a number you have in physical, and ranged defense or attack. It's very rpg like.

Two. The ending isn't an ending it's like the first act of a three part story structure. From the description of the DLC it sounds like those will be the two other acts. Which only increases my anger at Ubisoft cause the season pass is nearly the same price for the game. So they want players who are invested in the story to pay for two games.

I'm probably going to fork over that money for the season pass though. Bayak's story is great and I can't wait for Aya to assassinate Cleopatra like they said she does in the second game. Also Aya should have had more screen time, or at least we should have had a choice to play as either Aya or Bayak on this adventure. They are both halves of a whole story that we only get a small glimpse at.

PRO- USING SENU THE EAGLE TO SCOUT. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN AC SINCE THE FIRST GAME. Like its the best addition the the series. You can now plan out ways of attack. I'd often scout around encampments and count how many soldiers were on guard. Look for hidden entrances and exits, and generally plan out better ways of attack then I would in previous AC games.

PRO- Ancient Egypt is a beautiful land that not many games are set in, and I'm glad someone has finally made an RPG in it that is good.

So yeah. One of the better games of this year. I just wish Ubisoft wasn't so corporate.

I also think that at the end of the game they should have added that tower defense mechanic from Revelations. Someone who has completed the story may see what I mean. Especially since the game is about the origin's of the brotherhood.

Sheilawisz and LWFlouisa like this.
  16. LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa Lore Master

I think that's also a thing, I'm really into slinky stealthy things.

17. Reaver

It's been a while since anything has been posted in this thread, so I figured I'd post what I believe to be my greatest and last avatar. It's a screenshot I took while playing AC: Origins. Because I'm a huge Frank Herbert fan, I call it DUNE LORD.

[​IMG]

Black Dragon likes this.
  18. Black Dragon

Sweet avatar, Reaver.

I've been playing the recent Hidden Ones expansion, and it is terrific. I'm looking forward to the next one, which heavily incorporates mythological figures.

Reaver likes this.
  19. Reaver

Thanks BD! The Hidden Ones is a blast and I'm champing at the proverbial bit for the next DLC.

Black Dragon likes this.
  20. Reaver

It's been quite a while since I've posted anything in this thread, so I thought it'd be cool to share a capture from Curse of the Pharaohs DLC:

Black Dragon likes this.