• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Audio writing?

sPAm

Minstrel
So I like writing, but only I can read it. I like talking and that seams to be working. I wanna tell my storis, but I am considering only doing it with audio. Like some sort of podcast, I don't know.

Isn't that still a told story. Isn't that still writing? I write it down but only read it out.

What do you think? how would you proceed.

(one answer is get better at writing. I will in short explain my problem so we can move forward. So if I write a sentence. I see the complete sentence. I see how it should be. In all correctness. But when I print the text or show it to someone. A WORD IS MISSING. But in my head I saw that word being written down.)

Anyway, hopes for opinions.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Oral storytelling has been around for as long as humanity has been around, so I don't see why telling your stories via podcast wouldn't be a great idea! Do it. Start up a blog or a site and record yourself "telling" your stories and see where it takes you.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I've wanted to do a scripted podcast for ages.

The question, though, is whether you're shooting for a scripted podcast, like War of the Worlds or one of those old Mystery Radio broadcasts, or an audio book like everything sold at Audible. That is, how much are you writing a typical novel and just reading it out loud, or do you really mean to write specifically for an audio-only medium?

sPAm

Minstrel
I've wanted to do a scripted podcast for ages.

The question, though, is whether you're shooting for a scripted podcast, like War of the Worlds or one of those old Mystery Radio broadcasts, or an audio book like everything sold at Audible. That is, how much are you writing a typical novel and just reading it out loud, or do you really mean to write specifically for an audio-only medium?

I don't know if I understand completely. So yes on audio-only medium. My own audio thing I guess, not War of the worlds (if that is a podcast.)

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I don't know if I understand completely. So yes on audio-only medium. My own audio thing I guess, not War of the worlds (if that is a podcast.)

War of the Worlds was an old radio program by H.G. Wells about aliens invading the world that (supposedly, but not really) had people running in the streets in fear for their lives from the invading aliens. It's written like a real newscast. A lot of scripted podcasts have that same "I'm talking to you" feel like a broadcast - but not all of them.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
What do you think? how would you proceed.
I'd start by figuring out how to do the recording. What software to use, and what kind of microphone you need, Then I'd write a short story, and then record myself reading it. Listen to the recording and then upload it somewhere others can listen - if you want to share it. Soundcloud.com is probably a good start.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
War of the Worlds was an old radio program by H.G. Wells about aliens invading the world that (supposedly, but not really) had people running in the streets in fear for their lives from the invading aliens. It's written like a real newscast. A lot of scripted podcasts have that same "I'm talking to you" feel like a broadcast - but not all of them.
A modern version of this is Welcome To Nightvale (Home). It's a news broadcast for the fictional town Nigtvale, but it's a little too bizarre for anyone to think it real. ;)

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I'd start by figuring out how to do the recording. What software to use, and what kind of microphone you need, Then I'd write a short story, and then record myself reading it. Listen to the recording and then upload it somewhere others can listen - if you want to share it. Soundcloud.com is probably a good start.

That's easy. Here's a good how-to:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-start-your-own-podcast-1709798447

Pick up audacity for free and this microphone. Audacity is pretty easy once you fiddle with it for a while.

sPAm

Minstrel
I tested audacity but now i use video pad editor instead. I guess it now will only take time to master.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Do what you want to do, especially if it makes you happy, but IMHO, no matter which direction you choose to go, there will always be challenges.

You may dodge your grammar issues by going audio, but audio has it's own challenges to overcome. Aside from the technical stuff like microphones an sound levels, stuff that I only have a passing understanding of, how does your voice sound when recorded? I mean, I could listen to Morgan Freeman read the telephone book and be engaged, but it doesn't matter how awesome the story, if someone with with the voice of Fran Drescher was reading it, I don't think I'd stick around very long.

Honestly, if having a missing word here and there is your biggest problem grammar-wise, it really not that big an issue. Everyone has that happen. Here's a tip. One reason, IMHO, many miss stuff like that is because they're too familiar and comfortable with the text and the way it's laid out on the screen.

A trick to break out of this comfort zone and catch these mistakes is to change the way you're looking at the story. You can print it out. You can have text to speech read it to you. OR, you can simply change the font size so the text layout changes.

But like I said, do what makes you happy.

sPAm

Minstrel
how does your voice sound when recorded? I mean, I could listen to Morgan Freeman read the telephone book and be engaged, but it doesn't matter how awesome the story, if someone with with the voice of Fran Drescher was reading it, I don't think I'd stick around very long.

That is an interesting point. Something I do think might be a problem for me. But also something that can be fixed. I mean practicing. But I have also heard that what people like to listen to differs a lot.

But sure there must be a mainstream voice that is the most affective one. The one most people likes so to say. That is something I would be interested to know. Might make a poll on it.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
But sure there must be a mainstream voice that is the most affective one. The one most people likes so to say. That is something I would be interested to know. Might make a poll on it.

.... for real, it's Morgan Freeman, at least in the U.S. Typically, deeper, slower voices tend to be the most appealing to the largest number of people. Of course, that's if you want to put the focus on the content, like an audio book. Most radio hosts kind of "play a character," which is a little different.