• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Aurei of Westmark character study

ecdavis

Troubadour
I've been messing around with DAZ Studio for a few years, mainly to figure out what my characters look like. These two pictures are renderings I did of my main character, Aurei Bugley, who is a Drow girl. I wanted her to appear softer than the typical Drow images you see on-line. The skin was a real booger to find, and in the end I made my own to use.

8703693020_a9efb0255c_b.jpg

8702572735_3bc87952e2_b.jpg

ndmellen

Minstrel
wow, man; that's impressive. I'm technologically retarded myself, but I can appreciate a job well done. I don't know if you were asking for opinions or not, but I like the second one better. The hair gives a more "child like" aspect, which I think really grabs the "softer" look you were going for.

ecdavis

Troubadour
Thanks, the opinions I've received tends to be mixed. Many think Drow should have sharp features, which I agree, but Aurei is a young 'teen' and should have somewhat softer features. She also doesn't have the usual Drow 'look' that you tend to see, where they look all sullen and glaring. She was raised from birth by humans in a backwater town and taught to have fun with people's reactions to her appearance. As a result, she actually feels comfortable and relaxed being different, and her ease with it gives her an incredible charisma that has greatly endeared her to the people of where she lives, though she doesn't realize it at first in the first book. She thinks like a human, or more accurately, a surface Elf raised by humans and doesn't even know the Drow language.

Anyway, her whole appearance that I wanted to capture was to combine her exotic beauty combined with a sort-of 'small town girl' charm. In fact, I'm still trying to find the proper combination for that look. Thank goodness for free 3D rendering programs like Daz Studio 4.5 Pro (they give the Pro version away free!), or I'd be forced to try to draw her, and that would be very sad to see.

ecdavis

wow, man; that's impressive. I'm technologically retarded myself, but I can appreciate a job well done. I don't know if you were asking for opinions or not, but I like the second one better. The hair gives a more "child like" aspect, which I think really grabs the "softer" look you were going for.

Asterisk

Troubadour
Beautiful. Stunning. I love it. I might just save these on my desktop and stare at them. They're amazing!

ecdavis

Troubadour
Thanks, I've finally settled on a look for her and when I'm on the computer that I use for renderings, I'll try to post them here.
Beautiful. Stunning. I love it. I might just save these on my desktop and stare at them. They're amazing!