• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ausmerican spelling and other discrepancies

The Din

Troubadour
As an Aussie living in Canada for the last few years, I am finding myself in two minds concerning spelling, etc. I'm getting close to sending away to publishers/agents, so it seems a good time to pick one and stick to it. So...

1: Spelling. UK or USA. Is there a preference amongst publishers or does it simply depend on their residing country? I personally prefer UK, despite editing/writing programs subliminally forcing me the other way.

2: Quotation marks. I'm pretty set on ' over " as it simply makes sense to me. (Takes up less space, is less visually detracting, etc.) Is this going to prove a hindrance when propositioning American publishers? Do most readers prefer "?

3: Slang. If sending to American publishers, should I keep the (minimal) Aussie slang out?

4:Anything else to watch for?

Dan Latham

Minstrel
This is what I understand, so my reply is by no means definitive.

1. Publishers change text from US to UK spelling and vice versa all the time so it won't matter when you submit.

2. I suggest using double quotes when submitting to American publishers/agents. Your mss will be read by college student slush pile readers. They will be used to UK spelling, but UK punctuation might look incorrect and put them off.

3. You didn't give an example of the slang in question. You said it was minimal so it is probably all right. In fact, it might make your mss stand out in a good way.

4. Read the agent/publishers submission guidelines. They might address the above questions.

JCFarnham

Auror
This one always bugs me a lot. Sometimes I think I'll one day stand up for the UK way of doing things (because what ever people tell you it isn't wrong DAMNIT haha), then I realise it doesn't actually matter. Publishers change things, and that takes the huge assumption that I'll ever get international in that way.

Don't sweat it is probably what I'm saying :) But don't feel you have to lose integrity for anyone.

Butterfly

Auror
Every publishing house will have their own house style in regards with spelling, punctuation, right down to things such as someone/somebody, no one/no-one/nobody. Part of the editor's job is to adhere manuscripts to the house style, so I don't think you need to worry about it too much.

But I agree with Dan's point 2. If you are submitting to America, use the American punctuation.