• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Author vs. Writer

Not too long ago, I was talking to a friend of mine. At one point, I had said that I was an author. She asked me how many books I had published, and I said none. She said "Oh, well then you aren't an author. You're just a writer." I wasn't aware that there were ranks involved with this hobby. Do you guys use the terms interchangeably, or is there a significant difference between the two?

MineOwnKing

Maester
Sounds like she's testing you.

I don't see a difference.

If a woman secretly has a thing for you she might want you to be published to add a feather in her hat.

Or if she has low self-esteem----misery loves company.

Or she might be trying to impress you by saying something clever.

Mythopoet

Auror
I do think the term author implies that you have a finished work that is available to the public. Though I do not think that means it needs to be "published" in the traditional sense of "liscensing the rights to the work to a publisher in exchange for distribution to the public".

A writer is simply one who writes.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I have been a writer for a long time, since 2001. I do not consider myself an author because I have no books out there for readers to read. I believe "author" is a word that holds a meaning in context to novels, whereas writing short stories, I'm simply a "writer". I don't think the one has to be considered any less professional than the other, simply a differentiation about what one does. I don't think one "authors" short stories. That sounds silly to me personally. And until I have a book (or more likely books) out there, I wouldn't call myself an author. That's just my two cents.

Ophiucha

Auror
I don't think it really matters in casual conversation, although I suppose I do think of them as slightly different terms. I tend to use writer, novelist, poet, journalist as a general term and a job title. "J.K. Rowling is a writer." But if I am referring to somebody in relation to their work, I will use author. "J.K. Rowling is the author of the Harry Potter series." I suppose that does relate to publishing, although I would say equally that "Tara Gilesbie is the author of the notorious Harry Potter fanfic, My Immortal". So I definitely don't use it as a measure of reputability or respect, either. Just kind of a... minor distinction I make, I guess.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I don't think I'd ever refer to myself as an author. It just sounds weird to me. Like "Author Philip Overby" sounds off. I have been called that before, but yeah, I prefer to just be called "writer." If people want to call me author though, go for it. :)

I recently started calling myself a writer. Author in my first language (Spanish) means something bigger beyond being published.. more like you have left your legacy to the world. Writer works for me.. its less intimidating.

I've started referring to myself as a writer as well, just because I personally think it sounds better. I just don't think there's a big difference between the two terms is all.

I prefer to be called a Wordsmith. But His Majesty the King is fine too.

If you're going to go royal at least go all out. Like so

I am Brian Scott Allen, High Chairman, Lord Emperor, King of the Wawas, Defender of the Wawawasi Realm, Lord Captain Commander, Vice Roy of the Americas, President and CEO of Urinegood Companies, High Admiral Sillypants, Duke of Giggleland, Baron of All Things Ridiculous. (And yes over the years I have earned all of those titles)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
@thedarknessrising: You just got sneered at. Let it slide. I'd put money on the table the sneerer (is too a word) is unpublished.

Author means "originator" or something very like. As you will note from the thread, the nuances vary from one language to another. In English, words mean whatever we want them to mean, thanks to Alice, and both "writer" and "author" have undergone all sorts of wiggles and shifts over the centuries.

Which is to say, doanworryboudit

MapHatter

Dreamer
The term 'author' doesn't refer specifically to the practice of writing, anyway. It has, for sure, become almost synonymous with the industry, but in reality, it merely means 'an originator of a plan or idea', 'the writings produced by a particular author.' Nowhere does it say anything about those works, plans or ideas having to be completed. That, I think, comes down to connotations and assumptions. If you write 1 page, you're an author, if you write 800 pages and get it published, you're an author. What you call yourself is your business. Claiming 'you're not an author, you're just a writer,' a) is insultingly ignorant, and b) 'just' implies there's little worth in being a writer. Which we all know to be false.

It can't even be claimed that the term 'author' originally meant anything different. From it's very first usage, as near as I can tell, from the old French autor, and Latin auctor, it all means to increase/originate/promote. So boohoo to her!

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
You're just a writer."
Emphasis mine.

That's an attempt to put you in your place.

To be honest, I tend to think of an author as someone who's published, too, and a writer in broader terms, anyone who writes - well, anything. But I hope I would never say someone was *just* a writer! A lot of people use the terms interchangeably, so feel free to call yourself an author if you want to. Why ever not?

Amateur or professional seems to be the only thing that matters. You either have been published or you haven't. Not sure whether it matters if one calls themselves an author or writer.

goldhawk

Troubadour
Author vs. Writer by Dean Wesley Smith.

"And since new writers come out of that same basic training as my local friend, new writers don’t understand the difference either. And they think the same things about novels when they start writing them. It takes time and training and discovery and education to get past the myths our culture puts on writing novels. Most writers, sadly, never get past the myths and thus remain authors instead of writers."

Russ

Istar
I have a feeling we have been down this rabbit hole before, but I think the use of the terms really depends on the context it is used in.

It seems to be that how one describes oneself is getting more and more political today. I am not convinced this is for the better.

If you are discussing it within the context of it being a hobby, I don't think there is a substantial difference at all. I don't think that there is much of a difference when you are discussing it in the context of your vocation either. I know many people who make their living at writing and use the two terms interchangably when talking about it in that context.

I would ask that person what she thinks the difference is if it pops up again.

Perhaps the OP could be so good as to tell us what context he referred to himself as an author in?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Author, to me, does imply some sense of accomplishment as a writer. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it, personally, if I wasn't about ready to publish something.

But context does matter. You want to be a lot more careful about the words you use in a profile or a resume than do you chatting casually with a friend.

"Writer," I think, is usually pretty safe while still sounding serious, to me.

That person, however, is still being a jerk.

But if I am referring to somebody in relation to their work, I will use author. "J.K. Rowling is the author of the Harry Potter series." I suppose that does relate to publishing, although I would say equally that "Tara Gilesbie is the author of the notorious Harry Potter fanfic, My Immortal".

Oohh, that's true, too. Even commenting on an article, I might refer to "the author of this post..." But I would still say that Rowling is an author and I'm not yet there. I'd say it has two meanings in that sense.

Last edited:
I have a feeling we have been down this rabbit hole before, but I think the use of the terms really depends on the context it is used in.

It seems to be that how one describes oneself is getting more and more political today. I am not convinced this is for the better.

If you are discussing it within the context of it being a hobby, I don't think there is a substantial difference at all. I don't think that there is much of a difference when you are discussing it in the context of your vocation either. I know many people who make their living at writing and use the two terms interchangably when talking about it in that context.

I would ask that person what she thinks the difference is if it pops up again.

Perhaps the OP could be so good as to tell us what context he referred to himself as an author in?

Oh jeez. I can't remember what the conversation was about. This was such a long time ago. she's probably forgotten the whole conversation. come to think of it, I can't exactly recall with whom I had the conversation...