• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Autumn Foods Thread

Yay Autumn Foods FTW!

FNM_100113-50-Canned-Pumpkin-Soup_s4x3_lg.jpg

Pumpkin Apple-Bacon Soup

15-Ounce Can of Pumpkins
2 cups of water with a spoon of powdered chicken broth
1/2 cup of cream
1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin spice.
2 tablespoons of Maple syrup

mix these all together and whisk on medium heat for 5-10 minutes.

Cut up 1 apple ( I like royal gala) mix with butter to keep crispy. Don't keep the apples in the soup while you cook it or their taste will sweeten significantly. (personally I like them crunchy and sour)
fry up some bacon which you can crumble up and use to garnish the soup.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Ooooh, that does look good. :D Are the apples just a garnish, or do they go into the soup too? And how much does one recipe make?

the apples go in the soup. I just don't recommend cooking them with the soup or they get soggy. This recipe makes about 6 servings.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
At this time of year I like to make some hot mulled cider. You can google various different recipes for it, but here's how I do it.

Ingredients:
- Cider (a can or two depending on how you feel)
- Cinnamon (a stick, not ground)
- Cardamom (some seeds/pods, again, not ground)
- Cloves (a small pile)
- Brown sugar (a table spoon or two depending on how sweet you want it)
- A pot (to mix everything in).

Pour the cider in the pot and put it on low heat. Put in all the spices and the sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Let simmer until it starts to smell good - smelling the cider is as nice as drinking it when it's done. Let simmer for a bit longer, just make sure it does not all evaporate as cleaning the pot will be a royal pain (as shown empirically),

Best enjoyed from a bowl or big cup.

GeekDavid

Auror
If you like Chex mixes for autumn get-togethers, or just for munching while watching TV or writing, try this one:

Ingredients
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups Cinnamon Chex® cereal
2 cups Wheat Chex® cereal
2 cups Honey Nut Chex® cereal
8 oz pecans

Preparation Directions
1. In small bowl, mix brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice; set aside. In small microwave-safe dish, microwave butter on High about 30 seconds or until melted. Stir in vanilla. In large microwavable bowl, mix all cereals and pecans. Pour butter mixture over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly distributed. Add sugar and spice mixture and stir until coated.
2. Microwave uncovered on High 5 minutes or until mixture begins to brown, stirring every minute. Spread on wax paper or a cookie sheet to cool. Store in airtight container.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Another soup - Autumn is a soup time...
"Very Bacon" Pea Soup
Ingredients
1 oz butter
1 onion, sliced
1 small sweet potato, chopped finely
8 bacon rashers, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
½ tsp paprika
1 pack dried peas [well soaked for 12 hour and rinsed]
600ml, 20 fl/oz or 2½ cups chicken [or veg stock] stock
Preparation method
Heat a tiny bit of butter in a saucepan and gently fry the bacon and fry until golden-brown.
Add the onion cook until softened but not coloured.
Add the garlic and paprika, cook for one minute.
Add the soaked peas, sweet potato, and vegetable stock.
Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until peas and sweet potato are soft.
[I have a Dutch oven, so once everything is in and boiling I put the lid on and move it to the oven to simmer for hours - it really fills the house with nice smells:p]
Using a blender, blend the soup until as smooth as you want.
To serve, pour the soup into a bowl and top with more crispy bacon and strong cheese. Cheddar and Stilton work well. So does rich dark wholemeal bread. This will serve 3-6 people depending on how "hearty" they eat...
I also know someone that adds chopped dried apples and dried apricots after blending and lets them soften in the soup for an hour before reheating to serve.