• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

avoiding trouble when naming

For my current wip, I have really tried to invent interesting names and unique ones. when I find a name I like for a place or person, I google it to make sure its not taken, but to what extent should I follow this rule? Some names that I look up can't be found at all while others happen to be the name of an uninhabited island somewhere or the name of a company or restaurant. Are these up for grabs?

I ask this because I came up with the name Fotia for a continent but found it was the name of a restaurant and an uninhabited island. So, I'm thinking about changing it to Futia, but I really rather Fotia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mythopoet

Auror
Names are pretty much free to use unless they're trademarked, I believe. Unless you come up with some name that is inextricably linked with some really well known person/thing I wouldn't worry about it.

Names are pretty much free to use unless they're trademarked, I believe. Unless you come up with some name that is inextricably linked with some really well known person/thing I wouldn't worry about it.
Thank you. Much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4379

Yea, fictional names are basically free to use. Unless you make a fictional computer company named "abble", you are pretty good to go.

The basic rule is, if a common person doesn't recognize anything from the name, it doesn't matter at all. Actually, it doesn't matter at all anyways.

I wouldn't worry about that :)

Ray M.

Scribe
I do this too. I try not to overthink on that matter, though

I'd say if the name you've chosen is not widely recognizable, you're good to go with it. If it's, like, the name of a restaurant or an island like you say, the majority of people most probably haven't heard of it, so why should you care?