• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Bad Case of Writer's Blah

Agamemnon

Dreamer
Any advice for a writer who just can't seem to get into the swing of things anymore? I have everything I need, plot, characters, setting, the whole nine, then I just kinda blah on the writing. It isn't just one story or idea, this seems to be affecting my writing in general.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Force it!
Sometimes when I really don't feel like writing, or when it just feels like everything I do is crap, I force myself to sit down and do it anyway for an hour, even if it's stuff I'll just delete later on. The idea is that even if the inspiration isn't there when you start, you can invite it in and eventually it'll show up on its own.

Incanus

Auror
Yeah, with Svrtnsse all the way.

A handful of times, I wasn't 'in the mood', but forced myself anyway. Yes, a few of those times didn't result in much work, or good work, but other times, I ended up getting really, really into it after a while and had a great, productive session.

For me, its been all about showing up consistently, no matter what else is going on.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
The old saying goes "writers write". You want to write just do it. Don't think about it. Don't think about not doing it. Don't think about how your thinking about not doing it. As Svrtnsse said, if that means forcing it, take out the crowbar and dynamite and force the bloody thing wide open.

Sometimes it just takes getting some momentum going. What comes out may be sludge, but maybe it won't be. Regardless the only way to make progress is to start putting down words. You don't make the journey of a thousand miles by standing in place. You do it by putting one foot in front of the other until you get to the end.

One of the mental tricks I use is this. I ask myself the question, "Do I really want to be a writer." If the answer is yes, then I should sit down and friggen write. If I don't, I should stop worrying about it and just go do something else that will make me happier. Whether that means never coming back to writing or coming back at a later point, so be it.

I've always wanted to play the guitar. Or rather I like the idea of being able to play the guitar. I have guitar, and books and videos that I can learn from. But I haven't made time for practising and learning for years. I know playing the guitar would be neat, but I also know it's not a passion of mine. Learning to play it or not doesn't matter to me, so I don't. And I don't worry about it.

Writing on the other hand, I make time for, and I do it. It matters to me if a story gets finished or not. It matters to me when so much that I'll put off TV, video games, and a bunch of other things so I can do it. At the end of the day, words get put on the page, and some of it resembles a story or part of.

Last edited:

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
One thing to bear in mind - there is such a thing as a muse, but she works for you. Keep your butt in the chair and make those words come out. She'll find you, but she wants to find you working.

To be honest, it's hard work. It's frustrating. But when you look back the writing you do when your nose is to the grindstone looks a whole lot like the work you do when inspired. Just keep at it, and you'll be fine.

MineOwnKing

Maester
I think the answers given so far are correct, if you have a well balanced mood.

My personal experience is different, though certainly not unique.

For me, the writing everyday part, has never been an issue with triggering satisfaction of a job well done.

I find that just writing is the easy part.

Writing with bi-polar depression and PTSD is what makes it a challenge for me.

Putting words on paper is easy for me, but if I am writing while on the 'High Point' of a bi-polar tidal wave, I become addicted to the passion I am able to breathe into my prose.

Once the emotional high has ended, the writing just doesn't have the same pizazz.

At that point I feel the blah, and only my love of writing keeps my head above water.

When I feel sunk, I switch to editing.

Writing while in a low-spell, is possible, but to try and force myself to maintain the creativity necessary to meet my expectations, ha, I might as well try carving my spleen out with a spoon--ain't gonna happen, no way, no how.

goldhawk

Troubadour
Butt in chair. Words on page.

Butt paste (paste your butt to a chair and write). :)

To get your mind working, try making a list of everything that won't be in the story. Thinking about things you don't want can focus your thoughts on things you do want. This could help bring back your enthusiasm.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
There's a saying I discovered years ago. It has proven valid in a surprising number of ways. Here you go:

Anything worth doing is worth doing badly.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
When this happens to me it is often because I have hit a wall and I don't really care what I'm writing about. I have to go back and reevaluate the conflict. Usually it is stale, or the stakes aren't high enough, or my character doesn't really care overly much what is happening. I start writing what I "wish" was happening, something more exciting, and that will motivate me to either change directions, or dig into what really matters in the scene.

I have been told that any writing is good writing. So when you are stuck just write out a description of a setting you like, or a character bio etc. Whatever, just so long as you are writing.

Another exercise I find really works is mimicking an author you admire and using their paragraphs to get you started on your own by interjecting your own words… so for example, I may start out with the first paragraph of A Storm of Swords…

The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
The big black bitch had taken one stiff at the bear tracks, backed off, and skulked back to the pack with her tail between her legs. The dogs huddled together miserably on the riverbank as the wind snapped at them.

So (just as an exercise to get myself started) I might write something like this…

The river lay black and choked with ice, and the hounds would not dare cross.
Shana, the smaller of the two, a grey bitch with eyes pale as the moon tested the bitter rapids with one snow crusted paw and whimpered loudly before joining her pack at Jael’s heal. Her head stooped low, tail between her legs, the hound crawled low on her belly before resting her black nose on Jael’s soft leather boot. Other than the dogs, Jael was a lone stretched shadow on the icy moonlit plain. Behind her, Atian hung back miserably at the tree line trying to escape the biting wind, cursing under his breath, crusted furs pulled tightly around his thick shoulders.

The point is to use it as a jumping off point to get the ball rolling, but it is also a great exercise in sentence structure etc. You may not ever use it in your manuscript, but it helps beat the blahs.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: