1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Baseball Question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BWFoster78, Nov 16, 2015.

1. BWFoster78

BWFoster78 Myth Weaver

No idea where to put this thread, so I figured this forum would be the most innocuous.

I have this line in Repulsive:

I'm a huge NFL fan. MLB, not so much. I couldn't even tell you who was in the World Series.

Can someone provide me with the name of a famous contemporary baseball player who hits lots of homeruns? My character is based in the Dallas area. Not sure if that means he'd be more likely to think of a Ranger or not?

Thanks.

Brian

2. Miskatonic

Miskatonic Auror

Barry Bonds? Not from Texas but he's synonymous with homeruns. Retired a few years ago.

Not to mention he was juicing so to say he was muscular would be an understatement.

Josh Hamilton would be someone from the Rangers that's known for homers and still plays. But he's nowhere near Barry Bonds as far as status and celebrity.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    BWFoster78 likes this.
  3. BWFoster78

BWFoster78 Myth Weaver

Miskatonic,

That's a good start. Thanks. I'll Google both of them and make a choice.

Big help!

Brian

4. Bryce Harper or A-Rod are good ones for use right now.

BWFoster78 likes this.
  5. Miskatonic

Miskatonic Auror

Most people hate A-Rod, lol.

Bryce Harper is talented but I don't know if he's a household name yet.

BWFoster78 likes this.
  6. Russ

Russ Istar

Jose Bats!!! Is there anyone else?

7. stephenspower

stephenspower Inkling

If something is bouncing off a forearm, that would be more like a bunt. The car would have to be propelled by a swinging forearm to come off like a home run, in which case you could use A-Rod or, better, Raphael Palmeiro. You could also just say "like a juiced home run." Nonetheless, I find the image a bit forced if there isn't some other baseball imagery to support it.

8. Only if he flips the car after.

Russ likes this.
  9. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

I recommend picking someone who is retired. Even better, someone who is dead. That way they don't do something foolish and thus embarrass the book.

10. Russ

Russ Istar

If you think classic home run hitters Reggie Jackson jumps to mind, so does Hank Aaron, Roger Marris...lots of great guys.

11. How can we be forgetting the Sultan of Swat, The Colossus of Clout, THE GREAT BAMBINO?!

12. BWFoster78

BWFoster78 Myth Weaver

I think I'd rather stick with contemporary. My character is a teenager; as a teenage NFL fan, I vividly remember not having any idea who Broadway Joe was.