• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Baseball Question

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
No idea where to put this thread, so I figured this forum would be the most innocuous.

I have this line in Repulsive:

The car bounced off his forearm like Famous Contemporary Baseball Player hitting a homerun.

I'm a huge NFL fan. MLB, not so much. I couldn't even tell you who was in the World Series.

Can someone provide me with the name of a famous contemporary baseball player who hits lots of homeruns? My character is based in the Dallas area. Not sure if that means he'd be more likely to think of a Ranger or not?

Thanks.

Brian

Barry Bonds? Not from Texas but he's synonymous with homeruns. Retired a few years ago.

Not to mention he was juicing so to say he was muscular would be an understatement.

Josh Hamilton would be someone from the Rangers that's known for homers and still plays. But he's nowhere near Barry Bonds as far as status and celebrity.

Last edited:

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Miskatonic,

That's a good start. Thanks. I'll Google both of them and make a choice.

Big help!

Brian

If something is bouncing off a forearm, that would be more like a bunt. The car would have to be propelled by a swinging forearm to come off like a home run, in which case you could use A-Rod or, better, Raphael Palmeiro. You could also just say "like a juiced home run." Nonetheless, I find the image a bit forced if there isn't some other baseball imagery to support it.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I recommend picking someone who is retired. Even better, someone who is dead. That way they don't do something foolish and thus embarrass the book.

Russ

Istar
If you think classic home run hitters Reggie Jackson jumps to mind, so does Hank Aaron, Roger Marris...lots of great guys.