• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

basic idea for main characters.

Queshire

Istar
I want to see what you guys think about my four protagonists and their powers. Do they make sense? Are they overpowered? Are they too corny? This is still very much in the alpha stage, I don't even have names for them yet! But any input would be appeaciated.

There's four main characters in total, two guys and two girls, each fitting one of the classic party slots and one of the four temperaments as per here: Four Temperament Ensemble - Television Tropes & Idioms

Guy #1
Job: Mage
Temperament: Sanguine

A member of the Akashan tribe which lives on the moon (well technically a space station orbiting the moon.) The Akashan's sthick is that their sci-fi while the cultures on the surface of the planet are fantasy. Guy 1 has always been obsessed with the surface people and he was overjoyed when he and his buddy Guy 2 were chosen to be part of the survey team sent to the planet's surface to see if it's safe enough for the rest of the Akashans to rejoin the surface people and help with rebuilding after the apocolyptic war a thousand years ago and the post apocolyptic period that has followed. He still remains optimistic when the survey ship he was on is destroyed stranding him and guy 2 on the planets surface. While he goes along with the plan to find a way back to his people, he sees no reason to not enjoy the journey.

He is trained as a Programmer which is what Akashans call their mages, he's not very good at it. Master programers can make time and space their bitch, doing stuff like telporting, creating localized black holes, revert things to their past state, or rewind local time for a few seconds. He can't do that. He can only make bubbles, admittedly they're bubbles of sped up, slowed down, or stopped time or bubbles of hightened, lightened, or anti-gravity, but they're still just bubbles. Any time he tries anything bigger it results in unexpected side effects like turning all the milk in a ten mile radius into cheese or causing everybody's clothing to instantly teleport three feet to the left.

Guy # 2
Job: Ranger
Temperament: Melancholic
Another Akashan along with Guy 1, he tends to be cynical and snarky. He knew that going on the survey mission would only lead to tears and heartache, but years of his advice being ignored meant he didn't put up much of a thought.

While Guy 1's abilities allow him to directly manipulate time and space, Guy 2's results in uncannyily accurate intuition and spacial awareness. Combined with his favored weapon, an alchemy-based artifact rifle that internally alchemizes the bullets used, he is an extremely good shot.

Girl #1
Job: Warrior
Temperament: Choleric
A merchant warrior from the planet's surface and the guy's main guide to the surface world. Seeing as my world is one of isolated city fortresses surrounded by monster infested wilderness, merchants tend to either be badasses or hire badassses. She was raised by Orcs since she was a baby, I haven't decided why she was raised by Orcs yet. That lasted until a band of adventurers came in, slaughtered the Orcs that took her in and "freed" her. Yeah, she wasn't happy about that. First chance she got, she ran away from the home they stuffed her in, and after a series of adventures got her Orcmarks and a merchant cart of her own.

The Orcmarks are magical tattoos running up and down her arms. The marks don't produce magical effects, merely channel and focus the indivdual's energy. Orcs use them to channel their destructive power into something useful. For the girl, her marks increase her strength and endurance, though not to superhuman levels, and lets her focus electricity through her punches. (TAZER KNUCKLES FTW!!!)

Girl #2
Job: Priestess
Temperament: Phlegmatic
An initiate to the temple of the moon. After Girl 1 hears about the Guys' story and decides to help them get back home, she leads them to the temple of the moon. I mean, since they live on the moon (technically a space station orbiting the moon) who better then the moon priests to know how to get there? There they meet Girl #2. Then stuff happens.... I'm pretty much just winging it.

As a Phlegmatic tempermate Girl 2 is just what you'd expect from a priestess, calm, compassionate, the team mom, and so on. I explain this to emphasis the irony between her attitude and her powers. See, Girl 1 was raised by Orcs so she doesn't know much about religion and both Guys are from outter space, so they don't know that the Moon Goddess is also the god of darkness, death, poison, and all that nasty stuff that happens at night. Girl 2 is basically a necromancer, though it might be better to say shaman or exorcist. She's very emphatic that Necromancy is not inheirantly evil. While she can raise zombies, she's pretty bad at it and prefers dealing with ghosts and spirits. One of her specialities is interviewing the spirits of the dead for information or advice, the original form of necromancy.

So once more, any input would be welcome, and sorry if it doesn't make sense, it's 4 in the morning here, and thus past bed time... =_=

Queshire

Istar
=_= Nope, I didn't do a single bit of research! Or at least, I didn't do any research beyond what I looked up due to my idle curiousity. Considering this is a setting where Goblins use alchemy to run fast food joints, and where powerful warlocks can create nuclear explosions, normal research isn't exactly applicable.

battlestar

Dreamer
That black-hole thing seems fairly overpowered. A race with knowledge to control something like that most likely can control every aspect of our current known universe. Unless that's your intention. A race like that would probably also see the surface dwellers like ants, who are not even worth to communicate with. They would probably colonized the stars, etc etc.

Is this purely for writing or something else?

Last edited:

Queshire

Istar
Just writing, why?

As for the black holes, they're fantasy black holes so they're pretty much super powerful vaccum cleaners, not actual black holes. Besides only masters of that type of magic would be able to do that.

battlestar

Dreamer
Since "black holes" is a popular name for black holes, which could lead to misunderstandings, maybe something like "void" could be used as replacement.

I asked out of curiosity because it seemed like a game set-up, no other reasons.