• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Best AI Text-to-Speech to read back to you!

R. R. Hunter

Troubadour
What in the world?!

Near human-like text to speech. You get ~10k words-to-speech per month for free. No redos though, you hit generate and it uses words. I had it read the first half of my current WIP... And I'm blown away. Added some music and SFX for an intro and god bless America, how do I share this???

8 minute audio file if you want to see what it can do.
Or just got to the site, sign in with your gmail, and take her for a test spin!

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Yeah, it dies great right until it hits the fantasy names in my book, LMAO. It is impressive as hell. if you could teach it pronunciation, it'd be killer.

R. R. Hunter

Troubadour
There could be work arounds. Write the name phonically until it gets it correct lol. Maybe one day they add modifiers so it could add vocal attributes like more emphasis or sarcasm hahaha

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Wow....Just popped in some of my story, and Damn...that sounded pretty good.

I dont know, I've been looking forward the process of getting an editor, a cover artist, a voice actor for the audiobook....But why? Are any these needed any more?

By the way, it even remarkably got my characters name right.

Suppose I should say, wow and yikes at the same time.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I did get it to stress the name Juvukis a bit differently, but so far, it refuses to pronounce the second "u" as a short vowel.

On the other hand, it nailed Solineus! The dragon's name... not so much, heh heh.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Yes, I've been having sinus issues and so I'm unable to finish my audiobook in a timely manner. This could be awesome if the pronunciations can be handled. And I could train it to my voice, then add character voices. Helluva lot of potential.

Wow....Just popped in some of my story, and Damn...that sounded pretty good.

I dont know, I've been looking forward the process of getting an editor, a cover artist, a voice actor for the audiobook....But why? Are any these needed any more?

By the way, it even remarkably got my characters name right.

Suppose I should say, wow and yikes at the same time.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Gonna be honest, this stuff does not seem cool to me. It seems almost like death.

I want it to be my work, not some computers. Maybe that will change. I don't know. I like people, but they are expensive. Computers aren't.

Reactions: Ban

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
It's a two-edged sword. I'd probably train with my voice anyhow, not like I'm paying myself to begin with, LMAO. It's all unnerving and fun at the same time. With AI art... yeah, they're super cool, but if you really want a particular image, you need to speak to a human.

Gonna be honest, this stuff does not seem cool to me. It seems almost like death.

I want it to be my work, not some computers. Maybe that will change. I don't know. I like people, but they are expensive. Computers aren't.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I've a feeling, I will put money and energy into the production, and will go down in history as the last one who did...

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
There's always money in production... Covers and editing, in particular editing, are important. Covers I could see being cheated.

And hell! The Great Voice people can use this and become ridiculously productive, LMAO.

I did force the Voice AI to Kûmjotu-ki correctly by using "koomjah-to-kai".
I've a feeling, I will put money and energy into the production, and will go down in history as the last one who did...

pmmg

Myth Weaver
If all a voice over person does if set the thing to sound like them and read a bunch of copies, they can save it. I can copy their voice without them.

I'd not call that productive. Just opportunist.

Seems like everyone is thrilled. I will let you guys have it for a while.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Thrilled? No. Fascinated? Yes. And no, there are going to be lawsuits flying all over because of ripping off voices. Otherwise, I might have Morgan freeman narrate, heh heh heh.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
With a little more digging, it certainly needs improvement before I'd use it for an audiobook, but a voice-over on a trailer? I think it can hit enough marks for something like that. It's a shiny new toy and the direction the world is headed, but like so many other things, it isn't there yet.

With a little more digging, it certainly needs improvement before I'd use it for an audiobook, but a voice-over on a trailer? I think it can hit enough marks for something like that. It's a shiny new toy and the direction the world is headed, but like so many other things, it isn't there yet.
That's actually the biggest use I see for AI audio, images and written text at the moment. Short form stuff is a lot easier to get right than long form. And with a 20 second snippet it matters less. It's a great way for people to create ad images, short trailers with a voice-over, and ad copy. If someone has to listen to it for 10 hours straight, they might care more about small imperfections.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
The text to speech voices are very-very good now. If you're willing to pay, the enterprise level stuff is almost indistinguishable from humans. Even the free stuff is pretty decent for personal use. I use a free program called Balaboka that can create audio files from your text. You can set adjust speed and pitch of the voices, etc. It's not as good as the enterprise stuff, but for my needs it's great.

FYI, Lot's of youtube content creators from non-english speaking countries use it to narrate their videos. Chances are if you watch youtube a lot, you've probably heard a text-to-speech voice narrating various videos.

Here's a video from a channel that does movie recaps. I'm pretty sure it's text to speech, because every so often it'll make a weird error, but otherwise, it's pretty good.

Hehe! I just tried this and it’s pretty cool to hear (a tiny bit) of my story read aloud - the limitation? Well, it’s an American accent, not sure if there are British ones on there? And they mispronounced something.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Good to hear and right there with you. As fascinating as this tech revolution is, I find it more akin to an incoming tsunami than something to fawn over. Awe-inspiring? Without a doubt, but I won't be a part of it.