1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Beta reader wanted

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by Yukinara, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Yukinara

Yukinara Dreamer

I just finished my book. It's an action, adventure story on a sci-fi setting. It's a full length novel with 62,000 words divided to 13 chapters. Even though I already published it, I still need some opinions on how to further improve it. Is there anyone here interested in becoming my beta readers? I can take criticism very well, as long as it's constructive. My book is available in 3 formats, mobi, epub and pdf

2. JCFarnham

JCFarnham Auror

If its already published then we'd hardly be beta readers hehe. I tend to do beta reading for people on a chapter by chapter basis. A chapter is finished then we critique it, and so on until the book has gone some way towards a final draft. I'm not very quick at reading full novels unlike some people you see, but I'll happily ... tell you what I think of the first three (or however big the sample size is for 62k).

And if I really like it you can be sure I'll want more ;)

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Auror

This might be a little off topic, but why would an author want to publish a work before he/she thinks it's ready--still needs improvement?

If one is hoping to garner readership, offering the best that can be produced (when a work is ready) is a better way than publishing a draft that still is in need of revision. Sometimes an author only gets one shot with a reader(s). Dissapoint them and will they return?

4. sashamerideth

sashamerideth Maester

With self published ebooks, depending on distribution means, edits post release become possible but certainly not recommend, especially heavy overhauls. I would not like much more than punctuation or spelling corrections. Altering the actual story post edit, no way, that would really tick me off as a reader. Get it right the first time.

5. Kelise

Kelise Maester

You may have better luck asking in a writing forum for Science Fiction, as we're mostly Fantasy here... Some do read and write both genres, of course, but we are known for fantasy alone.

6. JCFarnham

JCFarnham Auror

As I said, I'll give it a go. :)

7. I can't promise to read the entire thing, if it is good, then it would be worth the time.

8. Yukinara

Yukinara Dreamer

sorry I just realized that I used the wrong term, what I actually meant was reviewer and critique. I hired a couple editors to work for me and I think I already got rid of the majority of the grammar and spelling problem. Now I just want someone read my work and tell me what they think