• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Beta Reading

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
At the risk of sounding like the SAT, which of the following statements best describes the most important goal of a beta reader?

1. To help the author write the best possible book.
2. To help the author achieve the author's vision for the book.

Important consideration: The word "best" is entirely subjective. What the beta reader thinks is best may not be what the author thinks is best.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I would say number 2. I think oftentimes people may beta read and think that means they need to inject their own vision into someone else's book. A good beta reader should try to understand what the author is going for and try to help them achieve their vision. You could have a really awesome beta reader that really helps you polish up your book, but there is always the risk that their suggestions may muddy your original vision.

Having an honest beta reader that can point out issues with your characters, plot, setting, etc. is the best possible one to have in my opinion. Some people like to maybe have an echo chamber of people just saying how great they are or just like people to critique them into oblivion. I like a balance: tell me what I did well, but tell me what needs work. I also think leaving your writer hat at home helps sometimes as well. Read to enjoy the story. If something isn't enjoyable, confuses you, or whatever, tell the author. That's the best help a reader can give.

#2, in that it's almost impossible to get #1 by separating it from #2.

A story works on its own terms; it's being true to itself that keeps it from coming off as repetitive, and that also means it can't be wrenched into something else.

The closest exception might be if the reader's able to say "You're doing this, but all these seem like part of you wanted something different, and maybe you'd rather do that." If they make a good case, you've got choices to make.

Or, a regular reader can give any opinion he wants; if a total action fan wants a fight in half the chapters, you might learn something from which half he suggests. But a full beta reader ought to be better at getting what you're trying to do.

(Besides, if the "beta" knows writing better than you do, maybe what he really needs is a beta for his own story!)

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I'll go in a different direction and say #1. Beta reading is different from critiquing.

One of the points of beta reading is to get fresh eyes on the project, eyes that may read and see things differently. I'm not arrogant enough to not understand that my vision may be limited. If a beta reader can offer insight that makes that book better, why wouldn't I want to consider this even if it goes against my initial vision.

If I asked this person to be an early reader, I did so for a reason. Likely, I respect their intelligence, honesty, critical eye, things of this nature. I'm not going to limit myself to changes or direct their efforts. That would be selling the work short. I asked them to read to help me improve the way a book reads, understand how different people may read a sentence differently, look for plot holes, AND opportunities for story improvement.

A reader that would say, "Yeah I liked that character but thought it would have been really cool if she did this instead of that." is a valuable contributor with opinions to consider. This doesn't mean I have to do these things but I should at least entertain the use of these suggestions. At the beta reader point, I'm looking for partnerships aimed at improving the work as a whole, not proofreaders.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'll chime in support for #2. If the beta reader is trying to turn your story into their story, you have a problem.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
An example, Stephen King's Carrie.

He could not get this book published and threw it in the trash. His wife pulled it out, read it, and offered changes to the MC that would fit for an adolescent girl (from her own experiences). These traits were not part of the original vision for the MC. The character of Carrie was altered based off of these suggestions.

The result was the first sale, the first for King to go into mass paperback production allowing him to write full time, the launching point of a career.

Some may say that these changes didn't alter the overall vision. I'll accept that. In retreading some of the previous comments I see we're saying some similar things. However, altering a MC's outlook, reactions, and feelings is a major vision change in my opinion. It affected the majority of the story in a positive way.

Well, there is something to be said about the point of view of another person.

An example, Stephen King's Carrie.

He could not get this book published and threw it in the trash. His wife pulled it out, read it, and offered changes to the MC that would fit for an adolescent girl (from her own experiences). These traits were not part of the original vision for the MC. The character of Carrie was altered based off of these suggestions.

You never know when your beta actually might have a better idea of the character than you do (though no fault of your own, perhaps you don't have the knowledge). They are meant to do both, but you control what affect they have on your voice and word.

MadMadys

Troubadour
I'll say number 1.

When I read an author's work, I tell them I will be reading as someone who wants to like the story. I will try my best to understand the story the writer is trying to tell and if I can give them advice to improve that idea, I certainly will. That said, I'm not there to give them leeway on every idea just because it's something they want to do. If you want to describe a spaceship in vivid detail over 5 pages, you are welcome to it, but I'll tell you I got bored halfway through the second paragraph and that your execution is lacking.

If a character is poorly done, a plot hole is too obvious, or something has no purpose in a story, I'm going to point it out if it bothers me. I won't bend my view simply to serve the author's ego. In the same light, of course, if the author does something well or even great, I won't hesitate to point that out either. Critiques aren't just about fixing what is wrong but lifting what is right and what works. That's how I prefer anyone who reads what I write to look at it.

It's up to the author to maintain their vision of the story. As a beta reader, I feel I have to give my impression of the story as someone in no way as connected to the material as the author who might have gotten lost in their own world. If I have a character in my own story that is flat and boring at the start, I don't want my beta to just accept I wanted her boring but to tell me she sucks in first couple of chapters so I can fix her. If they're trying to just feed my vision, they may not think to point this out.

Of course, they can take or leave my comments as it is their story in the end. If you would like to be published at some point, not everyone is going to give you the benefit of the doubt on your stories so it's good to have someone look at it who can give you that outside opinion.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Excellent points on both sides. Nice debate.

Follow up question: Is it possible for the answer to be situational instead of absolute? Does the role of the beta reader change based on circumstances?

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Excellent points on both sides. Nice debate.

Follow up question: Is it possible for the answer to be situational instead of absolute? Does the role of the beta reader change based on circumstances?

I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about circumstances like an author just beginning the beta reading stage versus an author who is submitting to a few final readers a month out from publication?

I agree with MadMadys.

I'm going to assume that if the author has released a beta, then he/she wants audience input. The author is probably feeling pretty structured by now and wants to compile everybody's tidbits. So personally, give the author everything you like or hate about the book.

The thing that might be good (this is somewhat on topic) is an open source beta. This allows multiple voices to chime in on what they saw, and you can see the trend growing if out of 200+ people, you have 80 picking up on one plot point and 50 picking up on another. It will also allow you to sidestep the second guessing if you have limited beta feedback, obsessing on something they might not have understood or skipped over.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about circumstances like an author just beginning the beta reading stage versus an author who is submitting to a few final readers a month out from publication?

Sorry. I should have clarified, though I was trying not to restrict the discussion.

Does the role change based on the relative strengths of the beta reader and the author? For example, if I'm stronger at technique than the author I'm beta reading for, does my goal change to help that author develop better technique?

Alternately, as you suggested, does the role change based on the status of the work? If the piece is in a more conceptual stage, does the beta reader's goal change based on a late draft?

The main question I was asking in my second post is if your answer to the original question is absolute or if you think it can change based on circumstances.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I'm going to assume that if the author has released a beta, then he/she wants audience input. The author is probably feeling pretty structured by now and wants to compile everybody's tidbits. So personally, give the author everything you like or hate about the book.

At some point, though, is giving the wrong input worse than no input at all?

Last edited:

MadMadys

Troubadour
Does the role change based on the relative strengths of the beta reader and the author? For example, if I'm stronger at technique than the author I'm beta reading for, does my goal change to help that author develop better technique?

I know when I read, I just have one sort of way to critique so I don't change to fit what they need. If someone comes to me I would assume they want my feedback in whatever form it comes in. Now if they would like me to focus on something in particular, say the development of one character through the story, I can do that if they need. I wouldn't call it an 'absolute' but it's just how I look at it. Everyone has their different styles and strong points.

Alternately, as you suggested, does the role change based on the status of the work? If the piece is in a more conceptual stage, does the beta reader's goal change based on a late draft?

I'd say yes and no. If someone gives me a first draft they know they will change, my points might be more broad strokes. I won't nitpick lines and focus more on the bigger picture.

Now if someone is getting down to what they think they want to publish, I'll be a lot more precise and critical of lines while still giving thumbs up if something works. However, I won't be any more kind if something doesn't work in the broad sense. I think it's dangerous, for a writer and a beta reader, to get to later drafts and think they can't change something that sucks simply because it would take too long or that just because we're on draft 10 it should be good enough by now.

So in a big picture way, I personally edit for "does this work" regardless of status but one does have to keep in mind the state of the work. If it's someone's first try, I don't belittle them for grammar or boring sections because it's the first draft, who cares! Now if they feel something is done and they have those same mistakes, well, I won't hesitate to bring them up.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
At some point, though, is giving the wrong input worse than no input at all?

In a profession (or hobby) that allows its participants great flexibility in its execution, it's hard to say what is right and wrong input. All input is valid or invalid. It is up for the author to take all the feedback of his beta readers and chose which one will aid his story

But opinions and feedback are a tricky thing. Sometimes something is suggested that opens up a new understanding of the final development of a story. Just as an author labors days revising his opening chapter, he should also take days understanding what was submitted to him and analyze their implications.

In a profession (or hobby) that allows its participants great flexibility in its execution, it's hard to say what is right and wrong input. All input is valid or invalid. It is up for the author to take all the feedback of his beta readers and chose which one will aid his story

But opinions and feedback are a tricky thing. Sometimes something is suggested that opens up a new understanding of the final development of a story. Just as an author labors days revising his opening chapter, he should also take days understanding what was submitted to him and analyze their implications.

Completely agree. Ankari took the words right out of my mouth. Literally. I closed my browser on accident and when I came back, bam, post. : D

T.Allen.Smith

Staff

I feel that the reading should cover all aspects of improvement. Technical writing, story, structure, characterization, all things of this nature should be fair game if you're asking for someone's honest input and help. I don't see any reason to place restrictions on what a beta should try to perceive, or comment on, in the writing. That's seems like handicapping the effort right from the start. Give me the unadulterated truth.

However, I am a believer in focusing readers towards critique. Meaning, they are free to comment and critique any portion on any level.... "But please pay close attention to this. I really want feedback on this character/plot line/scene particularly."

...does the role change based on the status of the work? If the piece is in a more conceptual stage, does the beta reader's goal change based on a late draft?

I suppose it should, the tighter and tighter the work gets. As you near completion, grammatical concerns, sentence structuring, confusion over details etc. should probably take a back seat to the story itself primarily because those previous issues should have been corrected at this point.

If those issues still exist then I would expect the reader to voice them regardless of time frame so I can review those suggestions and continue to make changes or dismiss them. I see little value in not hearing those criticisms regardless of stage.

The main question I was asking in my second post is if your answer to the original question is absolute or if you think it can change based on circumstances.

For me it changes only in terms of directing critique towards specific items as mentioned above. Regardless, I'd still want frank honesty during the entire process.

Here's the thing. Let's assume you're lucky enough to have 20 beta readers (hypothetical). Considering a certain character, if 15 of those readers like that character (or at least find them interesting) then that's a success in my book. I should still listen to the other 5 readers. Perhaps they'd have a suggestion that would bump the number to 17. Regardless though, you're not going to please everyone. We all know that. It's our job as the writer to ultimately decide how to act upon reader input. We're not being forced to use every suggestion voiced. Why wouldn't you wish to hear them all though?

Last edited:

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team

I'm not sure. I don't really think of my roll as being teacher. I simply point out what I think are problems, and why I think they're problems. I try to be cautious about offering up directions to go unless prompted to. Part of writing is learning on your own, and part of that is knowing when to ask for help about something specific.

My critique changes depending on what stage the story is in. Early drafts, I concentrate on big picture. Later drafts, I'll get nit-picky.

I also take into consideration the writer. Are they a new writer or are they old hats? Depending on that, I'll shift from firm nudges to down right pushes. Also with new writers, I avoid the verbal barrage of faults. I make sure I find some good things to say about the story, and I only pick out a few of most egregious things to point out. Chances are if they fix those big things, the smaller stuff disappears.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver

I'm trying to approach the question from the perspective of "how do you become a better beta reader" or "how can I best help the author."

I think that most authors have probably gotten comments that has lead them down the wrong path. I would also think that most authors have gotten comments that have taken up unwarranted time in figuring out.

Granted, most of that is the responsibility of the author, but is there anything that beta readers can do to make the process better?