• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Big fan, new member

Jack the Bad Wolf

I've been coming to this site for a while and love all the articles. I've always loved writing, but it has hitherto been a casual thing. Recently I have discovered a lot of non-mainstream works which inspired me to finally sit down and finish something. I'm still only 3,000 words in, but at least I have an outline this time xD. I look forward to becoming part of this community and engaging in constructive discussions to improve my writing.

Clever tagline in development

Russ

Istar
Welcome aboard Jack. Don't sweat the 3000 words, that is the first step on the journey and the most important one.

Feel free to make yourself at home and keep enjoying the site. I look forward to hearing your ideas and perspectives on things.

I'm also curious which non-mainstream works inspired you the most?

Jack the Bad Wolf

I'm also curious which non-mainstream works inspired you the most?

The first book i ever read outside of the "Mainstream" was Mel Odom's Sooner Dead. I was on a road trip with my dad and we grabbed it off of a rack at a gas station. we read most of it on the drive and i absolutely loved it. That was the one that really opened me up to all of the other books out there and the possibility of becoming an author myself.

What really created the spark to finish a book wasn't so much a single book, but the sheer volume of good books available out there. The idea that you don't have to be a one-in-a-million god of writing to get published gave me the confidence i needed i think. This site was a major influce in that as well.