• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

BioShock Studio Irrational Games Is Shutting Down

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Bummer.

Fred Fierst (an entertainment lawyer) told me about Ken Levine when he started up his company. In addition to his being great as a creative artist, he's a decent person too, from what I heard. That sucks that he has to shut his studio down.

Many of the Boston-based developers told me the game industry is "inherently evil." Maybe it's just as well I didn't get anywhere in it.

Levine and Irrational always considered the story and the player to be important elements in games. He put a bit of local flavor in his first game, naming a superhero "Minute Man," named after the Minutemen from the American Revolution. (Harmonix did that as well in Rock Band 2, providing a "Masshole" tee shirt for characters to wear.)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Kind of a subsidiary of Take Two shutting down in a way, isn't it? Take Two owns Irrational, from what I understand, and it wasn't so much a matter of the revenue not being there but the head of Irrational wanting to do something different at Take Two.

Nihal

Vala
Except that only 15 people or so from Irrational are moving to Take Two and everyone else is getting laid off. Not the sort of reward one would expect after working on one of the top games of its year.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Oh… shutting down one studio to keep another going. I get it. I am disappoint. Yeah, that also happens a lot with Boston-based game companies. Mass layoffs, resume exchange at the PostMortem meetings.

I don't get why this sort of thing happens so much. The quote from my game industry friend in my earlier post explains it best: "inherently evil."