• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Blog post: Nostalgia in video games

Xanados

Maester
Blog post: Nostalgia & World of Warcraft

GZ6dU.jpg

Hello, everyone. I'm looking for critiques on my first blog post. Yes, I realize that this is not a work of fantasy, but I'm not sure where else to put it. I'm looking for critiques on grammar and punctuation.

Runes and Scrolls

It'd be great to have atleast one follower on there ;)

Last edited:

Xanados

Maester
The article is undergoing some changes right now. Keep refreshing, I suppose.
Edit: I've posted it on the video games sub-forum, as well.

Last edited:
Xan,
Some very true things were said. Yes these devs do tend to stick with tried and true, even if it could have been done better :(

WoW was never my thing, played a few times and tried all the "new" versions as they came out. I have to say aside from graphis the only changes were wordings and additions of some quests. It was disapointing... LOL @ the Wii players comment :p too true.

Xanados

Maester
Yes, I agree, Black Dragon. I was just looking for writing critiques/grammatical errors more than anything, so I put it in the Showcase section. I'd appreciate any feedback on such things.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Since you asked for critique...

To me nostalgia is about longing and sentimentality in relation to the past (especially the distant past), so some of your points don't make sense. Sure, video games can induce nostalgia, but powered by nostalgia? That would only make sense if the current audience only played because it either reminded them of something else, or because they used to like the game (which I doubt is the case).

Whether you're a hardcore PC gamer that only plays obscure old-school titles, or you occasionally like to fiddle around with the little buttons on a black or white pad, you've experienced nostalgia

To say you've experienced nostalgia just by playing a game is fairly weak, because it's not the act that induces nostalgia, but the memories the act may or may not​ evoke.

The elitist comment concerning Wii gamers doesn't sit well with me for the reason above. I'm certain Wii gamers can experience nostalgia dealing with veteran characters like Mario, Samus Aran, Kirby, etc. To further the point, Nintendo consoles precede Playstation and Xbox consoles by at least 10 years, giving a great time span for nostalgia.

All of these things combine and collaborate in an amazing way that allows us to have so many great videogame related memories.

Well you disproved this yourself, just a sentence ago. I'm not sure what the whole 'senses' thing was supposed to achieve, because you only applied two of them to video games, and the others don't really further your point. Yes, I see and hear video games, like I do many other things that have nothing to do with nostalgia.

Last edited:

Xanados

Maester
Apparently my asking for purely grammatical critiques produces a discussion only on the topic itself. It was silly of me to write the post without a plan. I just went right ahead, not realizing I may have been contradicting myself. While I don't mind this, I'm going to take the post down. Time to get back to fantasy writing.

Thank you, Johnny. Interesting read.
Edit: It is taken down now, I'm afraid, but could you see any glaring errors, Johnny?

Lock time?

Last edited:

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
Ah, I didn't realise you weren't open to any other critique. I'm not the best with grammar I'm afraid so I prefer to critique other areas, my apologies if you weren't expecting that, but I hope it was useful anyway.

Don't give up on blogging! Consider it good exercise! I found it really helped my writing when I started keeping a few for university modules. You'll probably start to recognise grammatical errors that you are prone to if you blog frequently too.

Xanados

Maester
Ah, I didn't realise you weren't open to any other critique. I'm not the best with grammar I'm afraid so I prefer to critique other areas, my apologies if you weren't expecting that, but I hope it was useful anyway.

Don't give up on blogging! Consider it good exercise! I found it really helped my writing when I started keeping a few for university modules. You'll probably start to recognise grammatical errors that you are prone to if you blog frequently too.
Yes, I shall probably continue to blog. Maybe my next post will have some degree of planning involved.