1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Blood Sausage and Viruses

Discussion in 'Research' started by Ban, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:51 AM.

1. Ban

Ban Sir Laserface Article Team

So... Odd question time.

I was wondering if human bloodborne diseases would be able to withstand the processes of cooking and drying required to make blood sausage. I tried to find an answer for Hepatitis specifically, but I couldn't find a clear answer. I don't believe the cooking temperatures would get high enough to destroy these viruses, but the drying should get them right?

Before you ask, this isn't for any established world, I was just idly worldbuilding a group of faux-vampires. I think I could spin this into a one-off short story.

2. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

Actually I'd think it might be the other way around. Dehydrating would be relatively ineffective, but cooking [any hotter than Pasteurisation 72° C (162° F)] for a decent time [15 minutes?] should kill off the nasties.
    We believe you... No really we do...:whistle:

Ban likes this.
  3. Eleanor Konik

Eleanor Konik Dreamer

According to WHO, temperatures of 140°F to 150°F are enough to kill most viruses,

According to this recipe, you would use 170 degree water to make blood sausage.

Ban likes this.
  4. Ban

Ban Sir Laserface Article Team

Looked it up again, hepatitis seems to die at about 85C, but that's only 1 minute. HIV dies at anything above body temperature from what I found, so I think you're right Joe, the heat should do the job. For some reason I thought these viruses would be able to withstand higher heats.

Thanks, time to find some morsels... *Cough* time to write a short story ;)

5. pmmg

pmmg Auror

Unless its covid. In which case you should stand 6 feet away from the stove and wear a face mask.

Prince of Spires likes this.