• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Bloodborne

Gryphos

Auror
Is anyone else seriously hyped for Bloodborne?

In case you weren't aware, Bloodborne is game being developed by Fromsoftware, the same people who made the masterpieces Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, due to come out some time Spring 2015. From what they've shown it's a Souls game in everything but name, but with a variety of subtle yet significant differences in mechanics.

Gameplay trailer, for anyone interested:

First off, I'm loving the whole victorian gothic horror aesthetic they have going with the environment, a rather large break away from the high fantasy settings of previous Souls games. Less dragons, more werewolves.

Mechanics wise, they seem to be trying to emphasise the idea of fast-paced gameplay and quick decisions. No shields, so you have to rely on your ability to dodge. Thus, you're going to get hit a lot more. But to make up for this they've implemented a system whereby if you land a hit on an enemy immediately after taking damage, you'll get some of your health back. This is a genius piece of game design that encourages the player to take risks and not play conservatively, such as was emphasised in previous Souls games.

I'm so hyped, and it looks like I'm going to have to finally buy a PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
This does look awesome, but I'm kind of "Dark Souls-ed out" for the time being. Dying too many times did something to my psyche. :)

But yeah, this will probably be a must-buy once I muster the money to get a PS4.

KairiLayne

Acolyte
I wasn't until I read your post! Sounds like it's going to be an amazing game. I loved Dark Souls. Yup, definitely going to have to get a PS4 now. The trailer looks awesome.