• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Book Marketing for 21st Century Authors

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
Wow, that's a nice, old fashioned story - an author who sold the *idea* to a publisher first, and then wrote the book. Non-fiction is a different world, isn't it?

TWErvin2

Auror
Wow, that's a nice, old fashioned story - an author who sold the *idea* to a publisher first, and then wrote the book. Non-fiction is a different world, isn't it?

It does happen with fiction still, although it's more rare these days, or at least I've been told. I have two author friends published with big houses (Bantam and St. Martin's Press) that, through their agents, have obtained contracts for novels based upon the first two chapters and a synopsis proposal. It should be noted that these two authors are established and have sold well, with a steady to upward sales record.

Although I'm no where in their league, my publisher has already slated for publication the third novel in my fantasy series, even though I am still working on it, based on a discussion. I just have to get it finished by the established date--so that there's time enough to edit and such before release.

Last edited: