• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Bookbub Ad

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Okay, no real data on this but... My usual experience with Bookbub ads is ghastly. A few clicks here and there, so when I dropped a new ad today I expected more of the same. I cobbled together an image this morning with a tagline I'm thinking of using in a trailer and other bits... It's actually the opening line of Eve of Snows. The dang thing had barely dropped and it pretty much spent my $5 test budget! Now, not showing any sales yet, but it's all been in the UK. Sad part is, I'm not sure if FB would allow this image with blood... or is it Amazon that gets all freaky about blood?

Note: The fantasy sword look drives me nuts... but, oh well, LOL.

UPDATE: Blew through my $5 all in the UK. No idea about sales, yet, but at least I know the image works in the UK, LOL.

BB+Square+Sword+Shouldn%27t.jpg

Last edited:

Ned Marcus

Maester
I wondered when you'd get on to Book Bub ads. My experience has been bad, too. I think most people who are signed up to Book Bub are looking for a good deal, so getting a sale will also depend on how cheap/discounted the book is.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Yes, totally agree with that assessment. They are bargain hunters. They might be good for testing images and taglines, heh heh. I don't really expect much in the way of sales, but if the ad is catching attention and I can bargain bid it... I might leave it running to see what happens. I want things sharp for any bigger spend, so everything I'm doing right now is as much about study as it is making sales. Now, if BB gives me a Featured Deal in the near future, I might follow up with aflury of ads the days after to see what happens. My plan for the next featured deal is to drop to 0.99 if I can't get a $2.99 featured Deal, then switch my price back to $2.99 as quick as possible to keep it "on sale" during the ranking spike while hammering FB and Amazon ads and maybe a HUlu ad at the same time, heh heh. I have a $50 ad credit with Google, and was surprised their clicks only cost right around $.50. Didn't see much action, but it's all learning.

I wondered when you'd get on to Book Bub ads. My experience has been bad, too. I think most people who are signed up to Book Bub are looking for a good deal, so getting a sale will also depend on how cheap/discounted the book is.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
As a tidbit: Google served 470 impressions and 39 clicks (about $20). Considering that Google took zero (no noticeable) time to "study" the audience with automated targeting, that is impressive as a percentage. It's a tad expensive compared to FB, but the rate of "landing page views" is not bad at all.

From what I've heard about bookbub ads is that you need a lot of experimenting to get them to work. Getting the correct targeting, image and tagline are critical to getting a decent return. I actually like the idea of following up a BB featured deal with BB ads. I'm not sure many people have tried that (or rather tried it and then talked about it on FB). But I can see it working by getting the same people to see your book more often. It would be a fun experiment.

I think it's indeed FB who doesn't like blood. Then again both FB and AMZ are strangely prude and specific in their likes and dislikes. Not sure why...

As for the sword, it does scream "Epic Fantasy!" so I think it does its job. Though I personally like my swords nice and historical...

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Yeah, I agree on the historical big time... but also on screaming Epic Fantasy.

BB: On the featured deals I am extrapolating from available info that that ~5k clicks on featured Deals about a 50-60% sale rate. Retouching that other 40-50% is pretty easy as you can target your "readers" which I think are in part created by Featured Deals.

Sales Note: There's no attribution possible, I've got too many pokers in the fire, but my off-Amazon sales have kicked up while the FB fiasco seemed to damage Kindle sales... or it's pure coincidence. I never bother to check Kobo much, and all of a sudden there was $40 in sales. No friggin' clue where it's coming from, though I know the latter is not BB.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
2 days in and every click is in the UK... not sure what this might mean about folks in the UK. Of course, BB is also serving the Uk way more than anywhere else, but still!

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
31 Cicks, all in the UK. Hell, BB didn't even bother running at the Amazon US audience. It was 800+ total impressions yesterday and still in the 800s today.

Now, I don't know where to attribute this, but I started a FB ad running in the UK about 12 hours ago, and I also lowered the price to £2.99 from £6.99 to make it a "sale" and between the 10 BB clicks and 9 FB clicks, I sold 3 EoS copies on the UK. I haven't run ads in the UK for a long time, so the audience is fresh and fairly cold.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Two major changes... FB ad looks like the first, then added the second GIF to the Shopping page on my website.

Sword+%26+Snow+UK+Ad.gif

EoS+Skinny+Flames.gif

Last edited: