• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Books/Stories for Inspiration?

What do people read when they are stuck with writer's block? Do you stick to your genre, or do you read a variety of things and hope to find something that will spark and idea?

Kelise

Maester
I read my absolute favourites. I have a few. One for characters and world, one for writing style, and so on. I read them so I'm inspired to try harder to be as good as I can be in the same ways.

So basically, I seek motivation, I guess. That usually spurs my thinking. I've never really had the 'don't know what to write next' thing, as I generally know my characters well enough as to how they'd react, or I know the end of the plot to know what I'm working towards. If I have writer's block, it's because I get stuck by writing either what's not needed, or what's not right for my novel.

Gryffin

Scribe
When I feel blocked I try to read something new in addition to something familiar. The combination of reading something new and familiar at the same time seems to inspire me for some reason.

Digital_Fey

Troubadour
Like Starconstant said, revisiting the works of my favorite writers often helps remind me why I'm writing and where I want to go with it. I also find it useful to read some plain vanilla fiction, just to break out of the fantasy groove, maybe get some ideas of elements I'd like to meld with fantasy.

DameiThiessen

Minstrel
I read old myths. Things with nameless origins, the less detailed the better. That way I can take the elements of those stories or monsters and work them into my story without feeling like I'm stealing. If a story plot or creature comes from a specific author I can't use it. Hence why I will not use orcs in any of my stories.

I read new things, as many as I can, but all within my genre. First, because it helps me keep up to date on what is being published, and second because I find that I am inspired by different stories/authors in different ways.

Xanados

Maester
You know what I read for inspiration? The Prose Edda, Snorri Sturluson. A text from the close of the Viking Age. It is the source of all fantasy. I only recommend this "book" to hardcore mythology nerds and followers of Asatru.

Gryffin

Scribe
I should also add that I am very inspired by poetry. I read a poem and I take my personal interpretation of it and try to be creative. I have had some great ideas after reading poetry.

Thursday

Scribe
I try not to read at all. I don't want to end up with a 'new' idea that's actually someone else's. I've woken up and started writing because of a dream I've had and then a few pages later realized I read it somewhere else recently.

JBryden88

Troubadour
Irish Myths, the Witcher Saga by Andrzej Sapkowski and Song of Ice and Fire, and Robert E. Howard's Conan are all things I read for my world.

Wordweaver

Dreamer
I read the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. Constantly. As in as soon as I finish the last page of book seven, I open the cover of book 1, The Gunslinger, and start again. Just so I can relive the experience of reading the first line:

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

First time I read that line, it gave me the shivers. Always puts me in a writing or at least creative mood.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
You know what I read for inspiration? The Prose Edda, Snorri Sturluson. A text from the close of the Viking Age. It is the source of all fantasy. I only recommend this "book" to hardcore mythology nerds and followers of Asatru.

Actually, the Prose Edda was finished around 1200 I think, and the Viking Age came to a close around 1066 with the Norman Conquest of England. And it's not the source of all fantasy. The majority of popular fantasy, yes, but not all. However, it is a vital source of information for those interested in Old Norse and Medieval European inspired fantasy.