• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Boy, this place is big and scary!

ACSmyth

Minstrel
Hi all. I joined the site about a year ago, but it looked hooooge and everyone seemed to know each other, so I ran away again.

I've since got to know some of you on Google+, so I've ventured back. Be nice.

I've been a keen fantasy reader since I discovered Narnia aged 6 or 7 (and even earlier, maybe, if you count Beatrix Potter and her anthropomorphic animals as fantasy). I'm now an obsessive writer, as well as reader, and the two don't leave me a lot of time for a life.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you over here.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Glad to have you here! I'm sure I invited you here at least once. It's not so big and scary really. I find that the Writing Questions section is where most of the "action" goes down, so it's good to start there. Anyway, if you need a guided tour, I'd be glad to help!

Guru Coyote

Archmage
If you came from g+ this place here should be a cozy and welcoming little pub hehehe.

Welcome in! the only way to get to know peole is to join in the discussion. As Phil says, Writing Questions is a very good place to start.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Very welcome AC. It can indeed be a bit daunting to dive into a new place like this. You've taken the first step though and it's only going to get easier from here on. :)

I too read Narnia as kid, but I never actually ready anything by Beatrix Potter - I used to watch the movie every Christmas/New Year's Day though. Admittedly, I got bored halfway through as they were just dancing around, but still... :p

Again, very welcome.

JRFLynn

Sage
Welcome AC, nice to meet you! I started with books like Narnia, Redwall, and the Hobbit, C.S Lewis is still one of my all-time favorites! It may seem big and scary, but it's really like a petting zoo...so, can you feed me cookies?

Seriously, though, enjoy yourself and hop in anywhere. We all have a passion for writing, the more the merrier!

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
It's good you decided to come back. The only way to get to know people is to just walk up and say "Hi!" But that being said, if you think our little community is big and scary, just wait until you get a look at the publishing industry. And once you've been there for a while, even that behemoth becomes homey and familiar.

Many writers have shyness issues, and to be honest we can be very introverted. The beauty of Scribes is we can be ourselves here, because we're in a community of people from all around the world who share the peculiar qualities that make writers writers. Let the weirdness reign!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Welcome! There's lots of ways to get involved. If you have particular interests, search and join some of the topic discussions, or just hang out in chit chat and start a conversation about anything you want. There are public chats most days and nights and we have a rousing good time in them.

Another thing you might consider is the challenges forum. Iron pen ended last night and over the next week or so, the judges will be reading and critiquing those stories. The challenge section is full of loads of fun stuff to read.

Also, if you want to get to know a particular person better, you could always read their portfolio. I can't speak for others, but I always love to see comments on my portfolio entries and welcome PM's from people who enjoyed the read.

In short, we welcome everyone and want you to get as involved as you feel like.

ACSmyth

Minstrel
Wow. What a nice bunch of comments to wake up to. :)

I'll be sure and check out your suggestions. I am indeed an introvert, but I'm having to get over it more the deeper I get into this writing thing. Off out to lunch with a friend in a bit, but I'll take a couple of hours later to wander round and check out what goes on here.

Thanks, everybody.

Lumani

Minstrel
Hello AC! :) Welcome!!

I just joined here a few weeks ago but the more I come here the more I'm addicted. :) Its very nice to find a place that embraces our quirks as writers. Hope you enjoy it here!!

SeverinR

Vala
A year ago,:confused:
I think I remember hearing a scream from the door and someone running away quickly.
I just thought someone looked the ogre waitress in the eye, don't do it.

We don't bite...well most of us don't, and those that do have been muzzled and they had their shots, just don't rattle their cages.

If the old timers rattle on, just smile and nod like you know what their talking about, then slip away when they are talking at someone else. Just listen for the warning sentence: "Back in my day" "When I was your age..." "You kids these days..." are all good signs an old timer is going to tell a tall tale of some forgotten time.

Back when I was in school...
hey, where'd everyone go?
Kids these days.:D

Guru Coyote

Archmage
If anyone tells you I've had any shots, that's just tall tails. And about that biting, ya'know... we coyote bite only when we thinks the lady wants it. And if she be a lady, ya'know?