• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Brainstorming Store Names

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Yes, store names. I have a trendy, artsy Historical District in my urban fantasy city of Seahaven, WA. It's filled with small, independent businesses, mostly retail but not all, many of which have existed for over a 100 years in some form or another. The bookstore, for example, is the oldest building in this oldest part of the city, and used to be a dry-goods store. Now it's Other World Books.

So, I'm trying to fill this district with interesting stores, and my brainstorm is running out of steam. I have so far...

Olde Curiosity's Gift Shoppe - my MC's base of operations
Katherine's Retreat - a small vampire court and artist's loft
East Meets West - Asian fusion restaurant
Web Master Comics and Gifts
Other World Books
The Vinyl Vixen - music store that sells LP's and bribes their female workers into wearing vinyl outfits on Saturdays
Glasshouse Art Studio
Sweet Treats
Bordeaux Bakery
The Seahaven Public Market

So... what else is there? What are the business names, what so they sell, do interesting people own them? Go wild - Seahaven is a very interesting place. I want at least 1 traditional Irish pub, but I'm having a hard time settling on a good name. The Historical District itself is about 6 square blocks. The theatre district is just West, the Water Front is 3 blocks North, and the University of Washington Seahaven is within walking distance.

Thanks, and have fun!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Artisan Jewellers - "Green's"
Arts Cinema - "Ric's Place"
Pawnbrokers - "QuickCash"
Boutique Hairdresser - "No running with Scissors"
Er... now my brain hurts...

Guru Coyote

Archmage
Go Wild - outdoor supply
Cargo Cult - ethnic clothes (also consider Kargo Kult)
Rainbow's End - could be an Irish Pub, maybe
Thirty Silver and a Kiss - goth/occult supply
Float Some - thrift store

ok, I guess I could go on. Does it show that I tend to Geame Mater on-the-fly?

Alexandra

Closed Account
Pieces of Silver - Lawyer specializing in lawsuits
Roads Less Travelled - travel agency specializing in exotic destinations
Fields of Dreams - garden supplies, landscaping
Flickering Bulbs - movie theatre
Let Down Your Hair - hair stylist
Howling At the Moon - debating society and dinner theatre

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Freds Fix-it Shop - standard auto shop
General Merchandise - not public, always seems locked up, gets truck traffic at odd hours
Jakes Janitorial - noted for on the spot hires with no background checks
2-2 Club ('Second Stop, Second Floor') - bar / strip joint

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Thank you guys all so much for your suggestions! I can definitely use these both in the Historical District and the area surrounding it. It's much appreciated!

LadyKatina

Dreamer
Sacred Grounds - new age cafe and tea shoppe, where of course everything's fair trade and organic, and the tisanes might have a little something extra.
Wild 'n Woolly - yarn/knitting supplies/handmade stuffs. I'm picturing a proprietress like an aging hippy version of Granny from Once Upon a Time. Sweet, sassy, short grey hair and excellent aim with a crossbow.
Meat at Joe's - either a barbecue place, or a gourmet hot dog stand. Joe is a large bald guy with an excellent palate and a lot of tattoos.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
Sam's SIMs - mobile phone store (and internet cafe)
Fear Pressure - horror themes cinema and community lounge, often the place of readings and some writing groups.
Happy Eva’s After-hours - cocktail bar, well known for its Happy Hour specials
The Cock's Tail - ok, this bar is actually more reputable than one might think. There is a friendly rivalry between its proprietor, Adam, and Eva of Happy Eva's for the best cocktails in town. (There is a rumor that Adam and Eva are an item, but you know...)

Last edited: