Bright

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Reaver, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Reaver

Reaver Dune Lord Moderator

This looks pretty cool to me. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
    Steerpike likes this.
  2. Rkcapps

Rkcapps Mystagogue

I really like the look of it! Looks awesome!

Reaver likes this.
  3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

This does look good, Reaver. I'll make sure to watch it. Some good action in that clip, and it looks like it may have a more serious tone to it as well.

Reaver likes this.
  4. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

I've had my eye on this one for a while now. It looks promising, and it's amazing that Netflix is giving a movie like this as much of a commitment as this.

Rkcapps and Reaver like this.
  5. Reaver

I like the notion of how rare, dangerous and powerful magic is portrayed in this. "A nuclear weapon that grants wishes."

Rkcapps likes this.
  6. Black Dragon

Black Dragon Staff Administrator

Has anyone seen this yet? I believe that it is now available to watch on Netflix.

7. Reaver

I watched it yesterday. I liked it. The chemistry between Will Smith's character and that of his cop partner (played by Joel Edgerton) is fantastic. The plot is very basic and straightforward (think LotR meets End of Watch) and the world building a bit glossed over but the acting and the action make up for it.
    I'm not a huge fan of urban fantasy but I'd definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of watching.

Black Dragon likes this.
  8. Rkcapps

Rkcapps Mystagogue

I watched it too. I think the interaction between the two main characters carries the show. And the concept. There are a few plot holes and moments of "and this is there, why?" But I think they're more obvious to a writer. Try to push your inner writer down and watch without it. I suspect it's an enjoyable journey.

Black Dragon likes this.
  9. Orc Knight

Orc Knight Grandmaster

I watched it tonight with my little brother and quite enjoyed it. Makes for a good, if violent buddy cop movie. And yeah, I agree the two mains carried it pretty well. Could see the obvious parallels with it too, but still, overall I'd give it a 8/10.

Black Dragon likes this.
  10. Rkcapps

Rkcapps Mystagogue

I just watched a second time and I take it back, the plot holes cleared up. Makes more sense second time around.

11. Penpilot

Penpilot Staff Article Team

I just finished watching it. I'd heard that the critics were skewing it, but it feels like anover reaction. Is it perfect, no. I think the allegory was kind of heavy handed, and some things could have been handled with a bit more fineness and subtly. But just as a plain straight up urban fantasy story, it was very watchable and rewatchable.

I had a fun time following the characters through this interesting world, and when the credits started rolling, I was hoping there would be more.

I can see why some had quibbles with the movie, but some are calling it the worst movie of 2017. To me, that's a bit hyperbolic. If I were to give it my harshest, most critical rating, dinging it for every slight misstep, it's a 6.5/10. But realistically, for me, it's a 7.5/10 all day.

I sure hope that despite the critical lambasting, this does well for Netflix, and it gets another kick at the can. I would love to see a series and explore this world more deeply.

12. Alora pendrak

Alora pendrak Apprentice

it didn't get skewed enough in my opinion its been a while since i've seen such an awful fantasy movie. The characters were basically the jerk cop who stays a jerk for the whole movie. i like Will smith as an actor but he has and can do way better then this one dimentional bad cop the saintly victum orc who stays that way till the end was insufferible. i thought i liked him at the time but honestly i hate flawless characters more then mean ones. The elf girl was the worst and why did she leave her zealot order of dark elves what made her turn aginst them? What was the relationship between her and her evil sister? These were basic character questions the movie didn't care about at all. The two main characters don't even grow to like or respect each other so much for a message about tolerance. The world building was badly explained there was a poorly explained history that just caused more confusion if elves were the dark lords followers how are they running the city? Why are Orcs hated when an Orc saved the world? And it was stupid how every bad guy was chaseing after a wand they couldn't touch or it would distroy them some of them even saw this first hand and still wanted the wand. I guess people liked the action but even that was poorly done and did it irritate no one else how the assassin elves were easy to take down by these three chumps dispite takeing out an elite squad? I don't even know why the elves want the dark lord back their running the town. This movie script wouldn't of been an acceptable second draft let alone a final script. If this were a project the teacher would tell the student go back and rework everything from scratch. I don't get why everyone is letting it off the hook for such basic writeing mistakes. The idea was interesting but poorly done and ugh the dialog! Also i found out the allegory wasn't in the orginal script it was just hamfisted in their becuse the director wanted an award. This movie wasn't interested in exploring anything which is fine but i hate movies who pretend to be deep when they have the depth of a rain drop. And the worst part is judgeing by its populairty it worked it strung a few lazy lines about racism and everyone thinks its meaningful and refuses to look beneath its shallow surface. Sorry for being salty i just had to get that off my chest. if others like it fine we all have diffrent opinions but i've got to side with the critques on this one.

13. Adela

Adela Apprentice

Go on youtube and look up a video called -- Bright: The Apotheosis of Lazy Worldbuilding

It's near 45 minutes where the young woman who runs the channel, Lindsay Ellis, analyses this very thing you're talking about. This was a TERRIBLE movie I was forced to sit through. But, she basically sums up the movie at the beginning of the video and then says what they should have done instead. And, apparently she says that they didn't hire a screenwriter. I'd post it here, but there's swearing, so... I don't wanna do that.

14. Jeremiah Reed

Jeremiah Reed Apprentice

I watched the film a long time ago. I think the word that best sums up this movie is: forgettable. It was alright, but not as good as it could have been, which, in my opinion, is worse than being terrible. The idea of classical fantasy elements being introduced in everyday life is an amazing premise, however Bright simply didn't deliver as I was expecting. The magic had no rules, the wand mostly served as a Deus Ex Machina whenever the protagonists got themselves into a pickle.