• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Broken Age

Ophiucha

Auror
Just came out today for backers and comes out on Steam in a week or two, and since my husband backed it years ago when it was on Kickstarter, we've got a copy. It's a point-and-click adventure game from Tim Schafer, who did Grim Fandango and Monkey Island. Fairly classic, with the usual sorts of gameplay and difficulties (it never really tells you how to solve a puzzle), but it's got a fairly nice looking art style and a cute story on the girl's side - I haven't played the boy's yet, although I do know his half of the game is more science fiction, and that he's voiced by Elijah Wood.

The fantasy half of the story is about a world where monsters come to eat maiden sacrifices in exchange for not destroying a town, and it's considered an honor to be eaten. The main character is one of these girls who just wants to kill the monster instead. It's a cute premise, and the locations have a nice design.

Last edited:
I've been checking the reviews. The consensus so far:

Really, really good writing.
Vella's a cool character.
Shay lives in an interesting world.
Puzzles are way too easy, but they're functional.
The voice actors are all great.
Damn you cliffhanger!

Rock Paper Shotgun, probably the harshest of the lot, also noted that the controls seem designed for tablets--they're a bit awkward with a mouse.

Let's keep this thread relatively spoiler-free until the game's general release--it sounds like it has a few narrative surprises.