• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Building a Starsea

One of my first posts here was a problem I had with creating an original calendar for my world. Today I've revisited this problem after being distracted by other things and I found a cool thing called an astrological calendar. It's a calendar that uses the constellations to tell time and many of them also use the moon. They're very complicated so I don't yet understand them completely but for now I'd like to focus on building the constellations from scratch. My world, or at least the one I'm putting all this extra effort into, doesn't even take place in the same reality as Earth so the naturally the constellations would be different than Earth's constellations. I already have a couple ideas but I'd like to hear from you guys. Thanks in advance!

Two lore things of importance to consider: 1, the Starsea(space) is controlled by four elemental Gods who wage eternal war on each other. Terra Sola, the only planet with life on it and the place where the story takes place, is stuck right in the middle of these Four Cardinal Kingdoms and is considered neutral ground. Second, The Younger Universe where all this takes place used to the Blank Sea, a lovecraftian ocean of pure nothingness home to strange creatures and lost souls straddled between existence and non-existence. The god of the Blank Sea, the Void Star Emperor terraformed the Blank Sea into the Younger Universe after visiting Earth in the Elder Universe accidentally. The process was by no means perfect, so bits of the Blank Sea still remain hiding on the edge of the universe.