• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Building My Own World

Tannhauser

Greetings fellow scribes and worldbuilders!
I've been lurking on here for ages and thought I would better post something. I have been creating my own world for years, but up until now most of it resided in my head, with just a small portion of it digitally created within the Train Simulator program. However, with the arrival of FlowScape I will soon be able to create maps and scenes for my world and the stories I want to write about it.

The name of my world is Querencia. It means 'safe place'. It has two regions within it, and two without. Those within are called Riverlands and Arden, and those outside it are Arconia and Annidonia. Arconia started a devastating war with Querencia which then mutated into a factional civil war within the country. The topography of Arconia is mountainous. Annidonia is where the 'Moon-faced' people live and is a desert plain. After the war and before the age of peace there was the short but brutal reign of the Misery King, told in the story of the same name, an extract of which is here:

"The old man sat at one end of the tavern, warming himself by a large log fire, his form half in shadow, half in the fire's glow. Reflections of the flames danced in his grey eyes, his face a mixture of expressions and emotions. He took the occasional sip of mead from an old, battered tankard, the pleasant, intoxicating brew offering fortification against bittersweet memories of the past. I watched the expressions play across his ancient, bearded face until I too was lost in reverie.

It had been a long river journey from where the Morning Star had docked. I had considered taking the mail coach for a more expedient trip, but the cramped, disagreeable nature of such travel always makes me ill, and so I elected to take a sailing barge instead. The captains of such vessels always expect one to work one's passage; far preferable to me than rolling around inside a speeding carriage risking life and limb. and the revisiting of one's luncheon on the carriage floor. In contrast, the leisurely sail up the River Cammock had been quite pleasant and I had to some extent immersed myself in the tranquil flow of river life. I observed grey herons on the riverbank, and saw a mother duck leading her chicks through the incoming tide. Surrounded by such serenity, one could be forgiven for thinking that Querencia was a land of peacefulness and contentment. But as things transpired, this was far from being the truth of the matter."

Basically, the story involves the central character having to travel to Querencia to claim inheritance of Castle Ashwell. However, when he gets there he discovers that someone else has claimed it and is making life miserable for the populace. The antagonist grows increasingly paranoid as the story progresses and witch-hunts and persecutions ensue. He eventually captures the central character but is informed by his occultist that the man mustn't be killed, or he will die also. This is all to do with an old prophecy.(Cliches may abound, but there's hardly any magic, no orcs or dragons, and hey! it is my first story after all!) In the end, they both die, but Querencia is saved and ushers in an era of peace upon which I can build the world and give it context and backstory. I actually envison the Misery King to be on You Tube, with chapters set to my own musical compositions and scenes/animations created using FlowScape.

Constructive criticism welcome.
Best wishes.

Iapetus777

Scribe
As a newbie, I really don't think my advice is valid, but I will give it. I honestly think that your story has a wonderful start and keep going! You can make something amazing!

Iapetus777

Scribe
Also, the little to no magic can make quite a story. Because said character can't have a magical force sweep them out of danger, but they have to be creative and use their limited resources to try to live. As you develop more, I can probably provide better constructive criticism for you.

Tannhauser

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. I had completely forgotten about this thread. I am still trying to write a story and have got about fifteen pages completed, but the story is just part of a world-building project of mine.

Thanks again.